Trouble shooting my bathbombs (cracking)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxfia

Reaction score
Hi, I've been trying to learn the art of.. bath bombs! I've read so many forums about my issues so I'd just like to show someone them and see if I cant get better answers. I stopped trying to perfect my recipe awhile ago out of frustration with spherical bombs.. so I decided to just use different types of molds so they cant flatten like my sphere ones always would when I switched from corn starch to kaolin clay.

My base recipe is 1 cup BS, .5 cup citric acid, .25 cup of kaolin clay, .25 cup epsom sold, 1 tsp coconut oil. Earlier this week when I made them, I used all witch hazel to bind, and they would crack , I think it was too much moisture (I put them next to dehumidifier and they still felt damp on the bottom after 2 days) yesterday when I made them again, I decided to cut out the epsom salt ( but I did add it to the blue shells)

So yesterday I was going to try to use just 91% alcohol instead of witch hazel, but I used double the amount of witch hazel in alcohol and I wasnt getting the texture I wanted , so each half batch I made I sprayed the mixture 3 to 4 times with witch hazel and then 5 to 10 times with alcohol. The different colors show the different batches, the first one in upper left corner cracked terribly.. but that looks more like a dry crack right? Then the bottom right corner one I made from all the left over mix and i just doused it in alcohol to see what would happen and it didnt crack at all and it pretty freakin hard this morning ! I thought too much alcohol would have made it too moist, or does it take a lot of 91 alcohol to make it too moist?

Also curious as to why the red color (angry emoji and deer one) has a gross oily sticky texture on the outside but none of the others did? Could it be the fragrence i used?

Please and thank you!! Trying so hard to get this stuff down.
20200515_075449.jpg

You may be adding too much witchhazel and it's causing them to crack. Most witch hazel contains some water and too much water will cause them to crack. I use cocoa butter or shea butter and then spritz with alcohol if needed. I've not had them crack.

Latest posts

Back