Tripling a recipe???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvmy3cats

Reaction score
I have a 3 lb mold and I don't have any recipes except for a can of crisco type.

Can I triple a good 1 lb recipe? I don't know how to use a lye calc or make up my own recipes yet.

Or does anybody have any 3 lb recipes they would share with me?

I want to make another batch but I want to use my oils instead of crisco again.

Thanks for your help!

soapcalc.com click on 9 wp. then in the center it will ask about pounds or ounces. I click on ounces then put in 16 (1 lbs) then click on oil from recipe and then the + and add the the amounts is calls for. at the bottom it will verify the amounts. to change it to more ounces change it back at top. I'm sure there is an easier way but thats the way it makes sense to me.

hope that helps.

Our soapmaker program has a resize feature, which allows you to change and test recipes easily. It's especially good for comparing one recipe with another.

What kinds of oils do you have on hand that you'd like to use? I can run up a few recipes for you, using your own preferred oils.

at the risk of sounding obnoxious, I'd say you should probably get a good understanding of lye calculators before making soap.

even if someone gives you a recipe you really need to run it through a calculator yourself to check the amounts. i had a dear, sweet, EXPERIENCED soaper give me a recipe with digits flipped and so the lye amount was much too high.

soapmaker is GREAT. soapcalc.com is online and interesting too. both are fairly simple once you settle into things.

and if you haven't already - please go to millersoap.com and read everything there at least twice.

good luck!!!

You have the right to sound obnoxious if you want! LOL. I didn't take it that way. I will check out that website. It just sounds hard to me. I never did like math!

I have made about 5 batches of soap. I am far from experienced.

Thanks for your advice.

Diane

Diane... I didn't see your post until now. I would appreciate it if you wouldn't mind!

I have palm oil
coconut oil
palm kernel oil
cocoa butter
shea butter

Any help would be appreciated. I will check into the lye calculator but in the meantime would still like to make a nice 3 lb batch of soap!

THanks for offering.

Julie

I have this. Maybe it will get you 3 lbs. Try 2 cups of oil. 4 oz. lye. @ cups liquid. Its a very small batch but more than one lb. Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back