Tripled Oils, Tripled Lye, forgot to triple mixing space

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salty

Reaction score
Halp! I made a bigger batch of soap than usual and didn't account for the extra space needed in my mixing bowl. So when I poured the oils in and then began adding the lye solution, I ran out of room in the bowl. In an effort to save my soap, I poured some of the already mixed oil and lye into another bowl, added the rest of the lye solution, and then tried to mix the two soap/lye mixtures together by pouring a cup of one bowl into the other, mixing it around, then pouring a cup of that back into the other mixture. I was hoping they would get more evenly split. :oops: Any ideas if the soap will still saponify correctly?

Halp! I made a bigger batch of soap than usual and didn't account for the extra space needed in my mixing bowl. So when I poured the oils in and then began adding the lye solution, I ran out of room in the bowl. In an effort to save my soap, I poured some of the already mixed oil and lye into another bowl, added the rest of the lye solution, and then tried to mix the two soap/lye mixtures together by pouring a cup of one bowl into the other, mixing it around, then pouring a cup of that back into the other mixture. I was hoping they would get more evenly split. :oops: Any ideas if the soap will still saponify correctly?
I did something similar once and it ended up okay.

I think we all have done this in the too at some point.

Just make sure you run the recipe through a Soap Calculator instead of just doubling or tripling it.

I use a big pail that is 4x too big then my recipe (a larger recipe too) so I don't make that mistake again.

Live and learn, sometimes that is just the best way to do it.

I would agree with the others. As long as the soap got reasonably well mixed (however awkward I imagine it was to do that!), it should be fine.

Wow, thank you all so much! I feel so much better, and appreciate all the feedback. I'm breathing a little easier now, and am very excited to unmold.

Next time check how much liquid your container will hold then check the total batch weight of your recipe including all liquids and additives. You will then know if your container will hold your batch of soap batter

Back