Triple rice soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for posting all of your experiments. I love trying new things! I do have a question. If using rice water only, how do you go about labeling them?
My rice water is 75% of the total, which leaves the puree at 25%. More or less same like Misschief, maybe 1:2.5 rice to water for the puree. Mine's smooth but thick.

@Misschief your label sounds better than mine lol - mine says rice water, rice puree, rice powder.

I haven't tried mine yet but looking forward to it. I had leftover slurry from that batch which I refrigerated... mixed in a bit of distilled water and blized it in the bullet and used it with my lye/water. Just single rice soap this time.
Oooh I'll be curious to know if you'll notice any difference in the triple or the single rice. I've been meaning to post about it but my tests got DOS, when I tried just one variable of rice each. Wanted to see which was making it a harder bar, and in my case, a more fluid one. I have a feeling its all three....

It will be awhile before I test it but will definitely report back. Im really just getting to try my earlier soaps - I tried one this morning and was pleasantly surprised how bubbly it was - it's the first bar I 'created' myself and I think it was before I started adding other ingredients for bubbles. I've since remade this recipe in my 'now' go-to recipe so I may have to rethink that!

I added 10 grams of the sweet rice flour to a 1000 gram batch of soap. When I cooked the rice, I cooked up a quarter cup of rice and saved the rinse water for dissolving the lye. Once the rice was cooked (in about 3 times the water required), I saved the water and blitzed the overcooked rice with enough of the water to make a slurry. I added 75 grams of the slurry to the soap batter.

Mine aren't ready to label just yet but I'll be labelling it as having rice water, cooked rice, and sweet rice flour.
Thank you, Misschief!

My rice water is 75% of the total, which leaves the puree at 25%. More or less same like Misschief, maybe 1:2.5 rice to water for the puree. Mine's smooth but thick.

Thank you so much, Dawni! I am looking forward to finding the time to make this soon.

@Misschief your label sounds better than mine lol - mine says rice water, rice puree, rice powder.

Oooh I'll be curious to know if you'll notice any difference in the triple or the single rice. I've been meaning to post about it but my tests got DOS, when I tried just one variable of rice each. Wanted to see which was making it a harder bar, and in my case, a more fluid one. I have a feeling its all three....

I finally got around to making Rice Soap, CP method. I wanted to do the Triple Rice, but it ended up being Double Rice, because I had already masterbatched the soft oils in the recipe and didn't want to re-calculate the formula for additional oil.

I used Rice Congee (a thick rice water drink I make for personal consumption) and Puréed overcooked rice (left over from the congee making. I have to say my Stick Blender does a much better job of puréeing than my Magic Bullet used to do (I gave it to my DIL anyway, because her's was wearing out & I don't use mine very often.)

My decision to mix all the liquid, except for the lye solution, into the oils & SB them to emulsion was a good one, I think. Besides the fact that the rice purée was almost as thick as set jello, bringing the oils mixture to emulsion first was really pretty cool looking. Clear oils became a lovely creamy emulsion. Then I mixed in my masterbatch lye solution, again mixing to emulsion. Then separated the batter out for the colorants. I had SO much time to work, it was wonderful.

So it's in the oven CPOPing right now after a brief period out of the oven because Hubby wanted to bake some bread. (I did not detect any soap fragrance in the baked bread, so that's good.)

So Dawni, you say your Triple Rice soap is best after an 8 week cure, right? Our recipes are quite different, though, so I will need to judge for myself, anyway. I was going for a slow moving recipe so I would have lots of time for swirls and I got that in spite of the thickness of my water replacement. So I am happy to find out, the thick purée and congee had no apparent impact on the fluidity of my batter. I am looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Oh, other additives in this batch: cornsilk (in the masterbatch lye); EDTA (chelator); ROE (antioxidant); Sodium Lactate.

Next time I make rice soap, I will use a formula with more hard oils; this one was only 36% hard oils, not counting the CO (which is so soluble, I exclude it because it shortens the life of the bar.)

So Dawni, you say your Triple Rice soap is best after an 8 week cure, right?
Yeah... I noticed my soaps are all better with minimum 8 weeks. I wonder if it's the low coconut I always use....

For my triple rice, the lather becomes better, for the rest that's when it's hard enough for me. My recipe for this though, is my hardest soap even only after a week lol

Yeah... I noticed my soaps are all better with minimum 8 weeks. I wonder if it's the low coconut I always use....

For my triple rice, the lather becomes better, for the rest that's when it's hard enough for me. My recipe for this though, is my hardest soap even only after a week lol
I can confirm that it's a nice hard bar. I find the lather more creamy than bubbly, which I like for a facial soap.

I had some oil separation, which measured about 1/2 - 3/4 cups of oil with a bit of cloudy gritty looking sediment on the bottom of the cup, which I conclude was from the rice purée. I attribute it to too much added glycerin when my soap colorants were too thick, so I added a couple of drops to each, but probably overdid it with the TD & one of the others. Or I wasn't at a stable emulsion, although it sure looked like it all the way through the finished pour. Or it overheated in the oven (after all Hubby did decide to bake some bread & he may have started the pre-heat process before removing it from the oven, and just didn't want to tell me.) Or a combination of all those things.

Well, anyway, I cut it into bars, got some photos on my phone, then cut it up into cubes & re-batched it in my crockpot, so now it's HP method. But the glitzy green neon and and radically reddish neon (really a very bright pink), muddies the purple vibrance and turned the purple muddier. I filled the heart in the middle of one of my Texas shaped soaps & let it sit while waiting to see if it would harden up more than it had before so I could decide if I had to mix in another new batch of soap to harden this re-batch. I was satisfied it was firming up sufficiently.

To make this now single color soap into an acceptable lavender shade, I added some extra TD and with my SB thoroughly mixed it in before molding again. It bubbled quite nicely during washing up, so I am confident it will give me good bubbles after the cure. But I'll just have to keep an eye on it and make sure it hardens up as much as I'd like.

I guess I will stop using glycerin for mixing colors. This is the second time this has happened while using it in this way.

I've actually tweaked this recipe a bit since the first post.. The one I sell isn't this one, except for the rice stuff. If you wanna try this one instead, lemme know how it goes for you.
View attachment 49090View attachment 49091
And yes, I do add sugar to every batch. So far, no one has commented on the lack of bubbles and for myself, I love how the lather is. It's more creamy than bubbly but it does have bubbles :)

Hi Dwani,

Can you pls help me out: I’m making this triple Rice cp soap. Like you i’m using rinsed rice water and lye. To the oils: puréed cooked rice and rice flour. Now my question is does this recipe warrant a 1:1 water lye ratio? And to the 500g oil batch can I add 50-70g of puréed cooked rice? And one table spoon rice flour?

Eg if my water content is 140, and NaOH is 70. Then I make a 1:1 (which is 70g:70g) lye water solution. And the remaining 70% can be added as cooked rice purée or would you recommend less?

Thank you. ❤️

Hi Dwani,

Can you pls help me out: I’m making this triple Rice cp soap. Like you i’m using rinsed rice water and lye. To the oils: puréed cooked rice and rice flour. Now my question is does this recipe warrant a 1:1 water lye ratio? And to the 500g oil batch can I add 50-70g of puréed cooked rice? And one table spoon rice flour?

Eg if my water content is 140, and NaOH is 70. Then I make a 1:1 (which is 70g:70g) lye water solution. And the remaining 70% can be added as cooked rice purée or would you recommend less?

Thank you. ❤️
Hallo! Yknow... I used to wing it lol.

What I do now since I started selling, just coz there's slightly more water needed for HP, is 1.25:1 water to lye and the rest is rice puree. I think what you said above is OK for CP. Maybe HP too but I'm chicken lol

My rice/powder flour is 1.5 teaspoon per 500g.. Lil more than 1 teaspoon PPO that you might be used to. Used to wing this too lol

Just remember, no matter the amounts you use, your rice has to be pureed really well, and your flour blended in really well, otherwise you'll end up with orange gummy spots in your soap.

Hallo! Yknow... I used to wing it lol.

What I do now since I started selling, just coz there's slightly more water needed for HP, is 1.25:1 water to lye and the rest is rice puree. I think what you said above is OK for CP. Maybe HP too but I'm chicken lol

My rice/powder flour is 1.5 teaspoon per 500g.. Lil more than 1 teaspoon PPO that you might be used to. Used to wing this too lol

Just remember, no matter the amounts you use, your rice has to be pureed really well, and your flour blended in really well, otherwise you'll end up with orange gummy spots in your soap.
Thanks Dwani, Point noted re the blending bit.
Re the orange gummy spot do you mean DOS? Cos yesterday I made carrot 🥕 soap and might have missed blending some bits well, and one of the soap upon unmolding had a translucent gummy side..

Also, how do you make your HP? In a double boiler?

❤️

Thanks Dwani, Point noted re the blending bit.
Re the orange gummy spot do you mean DOS? Cos yesterday I made carrot 🥕 soap and might have missed blending some bits well, and one of the soap upon unmolding had a translucent gummy side..

Also, how do you make your HP? In a double boiler?

❤️
Nope not DOS. Maybe I should have said "orange gummy bits" instead lol. You can actually pick em off and they feel like pcs of gummy bears your kid might have spit out lmao. It happened to me once before.. I'll see if I can find a picture somewhere.

I make soap in a slow cooker :)

I have a feeling all the rice additives make for a more fluid HP soap compared to all my others. Could also be the recipe. Whatever it is, I don't use more than 2.6:1 liquid to lye ratio (no matter the rice puree amount, but oh, it still warps somewhat so I'm thinking to lessen the liquid still) for this particular soap and I'm still able to swirl. It's my hardest soap too. Here's 2 different batches
IMG_20201128_164408_665.jpg

IMG_20201016_111137_573.jpg

Last edited:
Nope not DOS. Maybe I should have said "orange gummy bits" instead lol. You can actually pick em off and they feel like pcs of gummy bears your kid might have spit out lmao. It happened to me once before.. I'll see if I can find a picture somewhere.

I make soap in a slow cooker :)

I have a feeling all the rice additives make for a more fluid HP soap compared to all my others. Could also be the recipe. Whatever it is, I don't use more than 2.6:1 liquid to lye ratio (no matter the rice puree amount, but oh, it still warps somewhat so I'm thinking to lessen the liquid still) for this particular soap and I'm still able to swirl. It's my hardest soap too. Here's 2 different batches
View attachment 52541
View attachment 52542

I liked your chewed gummy bear analogy. Thank you. I just made 100% CO Salt Bars yesterday with 50% Pink Himalayan Salt. Used the old rinsed rice water for lye. The trace was considerably slow. I wonder if this old rice water was one of the reasons.

I’m going to give HP a shot soon.

Btw fantastic soaps. ❤️

@Dawni I have read every single post on this thread and I'm still dumb founded....have mercy. o_O :goodbye1::shakinghead: Can you please let me know how much cooked rice to use per PPO? ( I plan to puree the cooked rice into the rice water portion, so not to add extra water)

@Dawni I have read every single post on this thread and I'm still dumb founded....have mercy. o_O :goodbye1::shakinghead: Can you please let me know how much cooked rice to use per PPO? ( I plan to puree the cooked rice into the rice water portion, so not to add extra water)
Here ya go sweets.. Quoted from a couple of posts above. I measured by total amount of water though, not PPO. Somewhere above (or maybe in her own threads) Misschief also mentions her amount.
Soapzoom mentions what she thought to try for CP too, if that helps

Latest posts

Back