Triple rice soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawni

Reaction score
I'm so happy about these!
_20190222_090725.JPG

For Christmas I had given my soap experiments away as gifts to family members. My mom has 8 siblings ranging from ages 49-62, and we are 22 first cousins, few married with kids, aged between 16-39. Some live nearby, some live quite far.

You can imagine how many mini soaps I individually wrapped in brown paper, and labeled by hand lol

I figured that's the best way to have other skin types test my soap. Bath water, weather and humidity are also something I took into account. They were all given variants that have been cured between 6-10wks. I have all tested them on myself. Some were better than others but I deemed them all good soap.

Several of those cousins and aunts came back with reviews so far. Some haven't touched the soap, preferring to just look at them lol

The winner was my rice soap. The first batch used water from the 2nd wash as my lye liquid, water from the boiling added after the cook for fluidity, and rice powder with the fats.

This second batch is slightly different, but uses the same recipe that they liked. Instead of just the water from boiling, I cooked some extra and pureed the rice along with the water and added this to my emulsion. The rice powder this time was added with my coconut milk powder in hot water, that went in after the cook for fluidity.

I'm sharing the recipe, and if you feel like trying it with different additives I'd like to hear how it went for you.

Lard 30%, 15% each cocoa butter, coconut, rice bran and sweet almond oils, 10% shea. It has a very low cleansing factor as it was meant as a face soap, superfat at 5% (mine was turmeric infused olive oil).

If you decide to HP, it cooked for under 20mins and molded beautifully at 2.8:1 water, with some reserved for after the cook. You can tell that the butterflies were molded last but were still fluid enough. Here's what it looked like right before molding, almost like custard.
_20190222_090555.JPG

Thank you for reading!

View attachment 36643
For Christmas I had given my soap experiments away as gifts to family members. My mom has 8 siblings ranging from ages 49-62, and we are 22 first cousins, few married with kids, aged between 16-39. Some live nearby, some live quite far.

You can imagine how many mini soaps I individually wrapped in brown paper, and labeled by hand lol

I figured that's the best way to have other skin types test my soap. Bath water, weather and humidity are also something I took into account. They were all given variants that have been cured between 6-10wks. I have all tested them on myself. Some were better than others but I deemed them all good soap.

Several of those cousins and aunts came back with reviews so far. Some haven't touched the soap, preferring to just look at them lol

The winner was my rice soap. The first batch used water from the 2nd wash as my lye liquid, water from the boiling added after the cook for fluidity, and rice powder with the fats.

This second batch is slightly different, but uses the same recipe that they liked. Instead of just the water from boiling, I cooked some extra and pureed the rice along with the water and added this to my emulsion. The rice powder this time was added with my coconut milk powder in hot water, that went in after the cook for fluidity.

I'm sharing the recipe, and if you feel like trying it with different additives I'd like to hear how it went for you.

Lard 30%, 15% each cocoa butter, coconut, rice bran and sweet almond oils, 10% shea. It has a very low cleansing factor as it was meant as a face soap, superfat at 5% (mine was turmeric infused olive oil).

If you decide to HP, it cooked for under 20mins and molded beautifully at 2.8:1 water, with some reserved for after the cook. You can tell that the butterflies were molded last but were still fluid enough. Here's what it looked like right before molding, almost like custard.
View attachment 36642
Thank you for reading!

Great job Dawni! Such beautiful creamy soap! I bet it is wonderful. I love using rice in one form or another in soap! I use it in most all of my bars :)

Great job Dawni! Such beautiful creamy soap! I bet it is wonderful. I love using rice in one form or another in soap! I use it in most all of my bars :)
I use the powder in almost all, too. Thank you for the affirmation.
Beautiful soap! Very smooth and creamy looking :)
Thank you :)
Those are really nice looking and thankyou for sharing the recipe and is one I would like. Just might have to give it a go if I ever get motivated to make some soap. :rolleyes:
It's one of my few "experiments" where the numbers match (better than the others) the feel of the soap. I hope you like it if you do ever try it.. And thank you :)

Very Interesting... Any idea on what is the science behind rice? Is it the starch content? Whats happening under the hood? Can wheat / corn / tapioca / other flours be substituted for rice? I havent tried making it, but definitely will... Just wanted to know if you already experimented on them already and was a waste of time. Also whats the difference between just rice water (konji?) and the puree soap physically? Is one harder or more bubbly than the other?

Very Interesting... Any idea on what is the science behind rice? Is it the starch content? Whats happening under the hood? Can wheat / corn / tapioca / other flours be substituted for rice? I havent tried making it, but definitely will... Just wanted to know if you already experimented on them already and was a waste of time. Also whats the difference between just rice water (konji?) and the puree soap physically? Is one harder or more bubbly than the other?
No idea lol I just know that we Asians use rice on our face and went from there lol can't even say if it's the rice that makes users like it or it's just a good recipe to begin with. No way to test.

I have not tried other starches but I have a theory they harden the soap somewhat. I do have an experiment where I only used rice water in one batch and only rice puree in another - not much difference in hardness and longevity between each other but they are softer than the soap that uses both.

I'll have to look for my notes to answer your lather question though....

Let us know how you like it when you've tried rice :)

"...The first batch used water from the 2nd wash as my lye liquid, water from the boiling added after the cook..."

I recently learned about cooking rice with an excess of water -- in other words, cook rice exactly like I'd cook pasta. I tried it for the first time last night, and it worked good!

I strained out a fair bit of starchy water after the rice was cooked. I'm sure it would have been fun to add this cooking water to soap, but I didn't think of it at the time. I was tired and mainly focused on getting supper cooked and in people's bellies. ;)

Anyways, I'm curious if I'm understanding you right --

When you say "water from the boiling" do you cook your rice with this "pasta method"?

And by "first wash" and "second wash", do you mean the water from rinsing the rice before cooking?

"Anyways, I'm curious if I'm understanding you right --

When you say "water from the boiling" do you cook your rice with this "pasta method"?

And by "first wash" and "second wash", do you mean the water from rinsing the rice before cooking?
Yes and yes :D

Although we soak the rice and then rinse before cooking so the water I use to mix my lye with has sat with rice for several minutes.

The pasta method is how we cook basmati rice. I think that's what I used for the first batch mentioned but our daily rice isn't made this way so I've since changed to pureed rice as the second additive, with rice powder being the last.

"...The first batch used water from the 2nd wash as my lye liquid, water from the boiling added after the cook..."

I recently learned about cooking rice with an excess of water -- in other words, cook rice exactly like I'd cook pasta. I tried it for the first time last night, and it worked good!

I strained out a fair bit of starchy water after the rice was cooked. I'm sure it would have been fun to add this cooking water to soap, but I didn't think of it at the time. I was tired and mainly focused on getting supper cooked and in people's bellies. ;)

Anyways, I'm curious if I'm understanding you right --

Was getting ready to ask the same questions. :)

I realize this post is a bit old, but I am going to blame @Misschief for reviving the rice soap discussion. :p

@Dawni, I do plan to try this. Using the recipe you described above, I ran the numbers through the lye calculator. It looks low on bubbles, so do you add any sugar? Or do the starches in the rice water and the rice make for nice bubbles?

Thank you for your help. I haven't HP'd for awhile, so this will be a good batch to get me back in that groove. :)

I've actually tweaked this recipe a bit since the first post.. The one I sell isn't this one, except for the rice stuff. If you wanna try this one instead, lemme know how it goes for you.
IMG_20200830_125940.jpgIMG_20200830_125912.jpg
And yes, I do add sugar to every batch. So far, no one has commented on the lack of bubbles and for myself, I love how the lather is. It's more creamy than bubbly but it does have bubbles :)

View attachment 36643

View attachment 36642
Thank you for reading!
Yes i will try this and thank you very much!

I've actually tweaked this recipe a bit since the first post.. The one I sell isn't this one, except for the rice stuff. If you wanna try this one instead, lemme know how it goes for you.
View attachment 49090View attachment 49091
And yes, I do add sugar to every batch. So far, no one has commented on the lack of bubbles and for myself, I love how the lather is. It's more creamy than bubbly but it does have bubbles :)
Thanks, Dawni, for sharing your method and recipe! I haven't been intrigued about trying a new soap for a while, but I will definitely be trying this one.

@Dawni, I've been testing my first batch of Triple Rice soap and, wow! I am in love with it. The bar and the lather feels so silky and, even after only two weeks of curing, it's so lovely on my face. I will definitely be keeping this recipe in my rotation. Thank you SO much for sharing your recipe.
I haven't made this yet, but I certainly plan on doing my next batch as a triple rice soap. I read through, but did not see how much rice powder you add to a batch. How much did you use, Misschief? And how much rice did you puree into your rice water? Apologies if I missed them somehow! Thanks!

View attachment 36643

View attachment 36642
Thank you for reading!
Thank you for posting all of your experiments. I love trying new things! I do have a question. If using rice water only, how do you go about labeling them?

I haven't made this yet, but I certainly plan on doing my next batch as a triple rice soap. I read through, but did not see how much rice powder you add to a batch. How much did you use, Misschief? And how much rice did you puree into your rice water? Apologies if I missed them somehow! Thanks!
I added 10 grams of the sweet rice flour to a 1000 gram batch of soap. When I cooked the rice, I cooked up a quarter cup of rice and saved the rinse water for dissolving the lye. Once the rice was cooked (in about 3 times the water required), I saved the water and blitzed the overcooked rice with enough of the water to make a slurry. I added 75 grams of the slurry to the soap batter.

Thank you for posting all of your experiments. I love trying new things! I do have a question. If using rice water only, how do you go about labeling them?

Mine aren't ready to label just yet but I'll be labelling it as having rice water, cooked rice, and sweet rice flour.

I haven't tried mine yet but looking forward to it. I had leftover slurry from that batch which I refrigerated... mixed in a bit of distilled water and blized it in the bullet and used it with my lye/water. Just single rice soap this time.

Back