Triple rice soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never post a pic of my Triple Rice Soap... haven't used it yet but so looking forward to it. Thanks for the inspiration!

Attachments

• Triple Rice.jpg
    Triple Rice.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 71
Here ya go sweets.. Quoted from a couple of posts above. I measured by total amount of water though, not PPO. Somewhere above (or maybe in her own threads) Misschief also mentions her amount.

Soapzoom mentions what she thought to try for CP too, if that helps
That's why I didn't understand. Lol. And I kinda still don't. *Smacks self in the face* can I go by ppo or is there a reason to go by water weight? And if going by water weight, would I do a tsp/tbsp for every oz water ? I think my newness in soap making is shining brightly on this one. :smallshrug:
@Dawni

Last edited:
That's why I didn't understand. Lol. And I kinda still don't. *Smacks self in the face* can I go by ppo or is there a reason to go by water weight? And if going by water weight, would I do a tsp/tbsp for every oz water ? I think my newness in soap making is shining brightly on this one. :smallshrug:
@Dawni
I did it by water coz it was easier for me lol, especially when I used to wing it haha.

You may be overthinking it too, happens to us all. Decide what amount of water you're comfortable with mixing lye in, and use puree for the rest. That's what I did haha. I'm sure you can translate that to PPO if you're willing to do the math 😋

You can try anything - if you're OK with 1:1 lye/water and use rice puree for the rest go for it. I didn't coz I'm chicken lol. If you'd rather use minimal puree I don't foresee any issues either. If you like your recipe already, all the rice additives are just going to give your soap a little more oomph.

The reason I added it to the oils is so I can stick blend it further, in case there are bits of solid rice left - you don't want those in your soap lol - and also with that much starch in your lye water who knows what can happen (haven't tried lol)

Let us know 😊

I did it by water coz it was easier for me lol, especially when I used to wing it haha.

You may be overthinking it too, happens to us all. Decide what amount of water you're comfortable with mixing lye in, and use puree for the rest. That's what I did haha. I'm sure you can translate that to PPO if you're willing to do the math 😋

You can try anything - if you're OK with 1:1 lye/water and use rice puree for the rest go for it. I didn't coz I'm chicken lol. If you'd rather use minimal puree I don't foresee any issues either. If you like your recipe already, all the rice additives are just going to give your soap a little more oomph.

The reason I added it to the oils is so I can stick blend it further, in case there are bits of solid rice left - you don't want those in your soap lol - and also with that much starch in your lye water who knows what can happen (haven't tried lol)

Let us know 😊
Pics of my triple rice soap. Thanks @Dawni I'm excited for these. Divided base into 2 parts: and used moraccan red clay for one part and "naked" base with poppy seeds for some extras visual appeal. Time to let them cure!

Attachments

• PXL_20210111_195542439.jpg
    PXL_20210111_195542439.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 67
  • PXL_20210111_195612885.jpg
    PXL_20210111_195612885.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 62
Just an update on my Double Rice (Nov 2020) and subsequent Triple Rice Dec 9, 2020) soaps:

The recipes are slightly different for these two soaps, and I don't remember why, but I suspect it was related to running low on one or two of the oils, or wanting to sub some oils. In any case, it's not a good comparison. I may have to come back to this. Also the proportion of rice water and rice purée was quite different between the two, so I really do need to come back to this and re-visit the proportions in order to get a good idea of if I like this. Besides the Double Rice was re-batched, whereas the Triple Rice was not.

Re-batched Double Rice soap has really hardened more than I expected in spite of the extra glycerin (see below quotes). I can still press a dent into the bars with my fingers, but the soap is much much firmer and I'm just going to use it. The lavender color is pleasant and not as bad as I expected after having to destroy my swirled colors by re-batching, so I am not sure if I will use these for felted soap as I had thought I might. The bars are two months old at this point, so ready to use. As far as lather and bubbles, good, but I wouldn't say any better than I normally get.

Triple Rice soap made on 12/9/2020 still seems a bit drying at 5 weeks cure and a cleansing number of 13 (higher than what I used in the above soap). Also this one is too rough. I used Bob's Red Mill rice powder, but at such a small amount (only 2.15% of the total recipe) so I wasn't expecting it to be so rough on my skin. And I also used far less puréed rice (1/3rd less than in the previous Double Rice soap), but it was the same consistancy as in the previous soap. I'll give it another few weeks & try it again as it just hasn't cured long enough yet. I almost forgot to mention: This soap is super hard! In fact, event the sliver end cut I have used to test (twice now) at sink side, is hard as a rock.

Composition of the two soaps (per soapmakingfriend):

Double Rice
Olive Oil 19.62%;
Avocado Oil 12%;
Sunflower Oil 9.86%;
Rice Congee (water substitute) 9.23%;
Coconut Oil, 76 deg 8.62%;
Palm Oil 8.62%;
Rice purée (use SB) 6.21%;
Soy Wax, GW415 6.15%;
Castor Oil 2.83%;
Unknown percentage:
Vegetable Glycerin (mixed with colorants)
Triple Rice
Rice Bran Oil, HO (Riceland) 19.36%;
Palm Oil 12.9%;
Coconut Oil, 76 deg 9.03%;
Cocoa Butter 7.74%;
Soy Wax, GW415 6.45%;
Shea Butter 3.87%;
Palm Kernel Oil Flakes, hydrogenated 3.23%;
Rice Powder 2.15%;
Rice purée (use SB) 2.15%;
Rice Congee (water substitute) 2.15%;
Castor Oil 1.94%;
For both: Less than 1%: EDTA, ROE, Corn Silk; Not calculated: Colorants in both

I finally got around to making Rice Soap, CP method. I wanted to do the Triple Rice, but it ended up being Double Rice, because I had already masterbatched the soft oils in the recipe and didn't want to re-calculate the formula for additional oil.

I used Rice Congee (a thick rice water drink I make for personal consumption) and Puréed overcooked rice (left over from the congee making. I have to say my Stick Blender does a much better job of puréeing than my Magic Bullet used to do (I gave it to my DIL anyway, because her's was wearing out & I don't use mine very often.)

My decision to mix all the liquid, except for the lye solution, into the oils & SB them to emulsion was a good one, I think. Besides the fact that the rice purée was almost as thick as set jello, bringing the oils mixture to emulsion first was really pretty cool looking. Clear oils became a lovely creamy emulsion. Then I mixed in my masterbatch lye solution, again mixing to emulsion. Then separated the batter out for the colorants. I had SO much time to work, it was wonderful.

So it's in the oven CPOPing right now after a brief period out of the oven because Hubby wanted to bake some bread. (I did not detect any soap fragrance in the baked bread, so that's good.)

So Dawni, you say your Triple Rice soap is best after an 8 week cure, right? Our recipes are quite different, though, so I will need to judge for myself, anyway. I was going for a slow moving recipe so I would have lots of time for swirls and I got that in spite of the thickness of my water replacement. So I am happy to find out, the thick purée and congee had no apparent impact on the fluidity of my batter. I am looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Oh, other additives in this batch: cornsilk (in the masterbatch lye); EDTA (chelator); ROE (antioxidant); Sodium Lactate.

Next time I make rice soap, I will use a formula with more hard oils; this one was only 36% hard oils, not counting the CO (which is so soluble, I exclude it because it shortens the life of the bar.)
Yeah... I noticed my soaps are all better with minimum 8 weeks. I wonder if it's the low coconut I always use....

For my triple rice, the lather becomes better, for the rest that's when it's hard enough for me. My recipe for this though, is my hardest soap even only after a week lol
I had some oil separation, which measured about 1/2 - 3/4 cups of oil with a bit of cloudy gritty looking sediment on the bottom of the cup, which I conclude was from the rice purée. I attribute it to too much added glycerin when my soap colorants were too thick, so I added a couple of drops to each, but probably overdid it with the TD & one of the others. Or I wasn't at a stable emulsion, although it sure looked like it all the way through the finished pour. Or it overheated in the oven (after all Hubby did decide to bake some bread & he may have started the pre-heat process before removing it from the oven, and just didn't want to tell me.) Or a combination of all those things.

Well, anyway, I cut it into bars, got some photos on my phone, then cut it up into cubes & re-batched it in my crockpot, so now it's HP method. But the glitzy green neon and and radically reddish neon (really a very bright pink), muddies the purple vibrance and turned the purple muddier. I filled the heart in the middle of one of my Texas shaped soaps & let it sit while waiting to see if it would harden up more than it had before so I could decide if I had to mix in another new batch of soap to harden this re-batch. I was satisfied it was firming up sufficiently.

To make this now single color soap into an acceptable lavender shade, I added some extra TD and with my SB thoroughly mixed it in before molding again. It bubbled quite nicely during washing up, so I am confident it will give me good bubbles after the cure. But I'll just have to keep an eye on it and make sure it hardens up as much as I'd like.

I guess I will stop using glycerin for mixing colors. This is the second time this has happened while using it in this way.

Last edited:
I was all set to ask whether or not it was ok to use rice that had been soaking for a few days because I forgot about it. I figured I should probably go look at it first to see what it looked like before I posted that question.

The answer is no LOL. it is a stinky brown fermented bubbly mess. Glad it's in a cool whip container that I can just gently put in the trash and get rid of it without having to open it again.

Figured I would share this tip LOL

I used Bob's Red Mill rice powder, but at such a small amount (only 2.15% of the total recipe) so I wasn't expecting it to be so rough on my skin. And I also used far less puréed rice (1/3rd less than in the previous Double Rice soap), but it was the same consistancy as in the previous soap.

Hi Earlene, my first thought when I saw that rice flour was included in recipes was that the rice flour may have an exfoliating effect if it survives the cook, which is just fine if this is the intention. Is this what you mean by rough?

I use rice flour to keep my sourdough bread from sticking to the baking stone, works like a charm because of how coarse it is and remains so after coming in contact with sticky/wet dough. I can imagine how the rice flour may give soap a texture. On the other hand, I also bake sweets with gluten free flour, which includes rice, and it does not have the same course feel as the stand alone rice flour, it has a finer grind.

As mentioned above, I use the pasta method for cooking basmati rice too. At least that was until I got an instant pot, now the cooking water is all absorbed, and I still can get the crispy bottom just like on the stovetop!

Will anyone else please share if you or your users sense an exfoliating texture when rice or rice flour is in recipe? I wonder if this is limited to the rice flour and not the homemade rice slurry. Maybe using only the rice soak/cook liquid (or rice starch??) as an alternative while still achieving results.

This is a wonderful development, thank you Dawni and others for sharing.

Cheers.

Will anyone else please share if you or your users sense an exfoliating texture when rice or rice flour is in recipe? I wonder if this is limited to the rice flour and not the homemade rice slurry. Maybe using only the rice soak/cook liquid (or rice starch??) as an alternative while still achieving results.

This is a wonderful development, thank you Dawni and others for sharing.

Cheers.
No exfoliation in mine.
The rice flour I use looks very similar to my kaolin actually.. Just a different shade of white. Maybe if it were a coarser grind?

Update on my double & triple rice soaps:

The one I re-batched was the Double Rice and lost my gorgeous swirls, but ended up with a lovely shade of lavendar. I thought it was never going to harden, but it did turn almost as hard as the Triple Rice soap I made later. It just took more time, so I conclude the rice overcomes the glycerin eventually. Thankfully, there is no exfoliating effect from the finely puréed rice (I used my stick blender to purée the cooked rice). It is lovely soap, which feels fabulous on my skin as I wash.

The Triple Rice soap is really hard as a rock, but because of the exfoliating effect of the rice powder I do like it for use on the bottoms of my feet, but it is just too scratchy for other areas of my body, even for my hands. It is okay if one uses a wash cloth or poof to load the lather onto the poof or wash cloth prior to washing. But for directly on my skin - too rough. Granted, my skin seems to be more sensitive to what some find as perfectly fine in terms of exfoliants.

So to address nativedan's question, yes, that is what I meant by too rough. However, the soap was not made HP, so it was not a 'survives the cook' situation. I made this soap with the CP method. Regardless, I still think it would be too rough on my skin had I done it via HP. I have done many HP soaps and even colloidal oatmeal results in graininess in soap that feels rough (exfoliating) on my skin.

Hi Earlene, my first thought when I saw that rice flour was included in recipes was that the rice flour may have an exfoliating effect if it survives the cook, which is just fine if this is the intention. Is this what you mean by rough?

So to address nativedan's question, yes, that is what I meant by too rough. However, the soap was not made HP, so it was not a 'survives the cook' situation. I made this soap with the CP method. Regardless, I still think it would be too rough on my skin had I done it via HP. I have done many HP soaps and even colloidal oatmeal results in graininess in soap that feels rough (exfoliating) on my skin.

My Triple Rice soap is as smooth as silk. I feel absolutely no graininess to it at all. Like Dawni, the rice flour I use is very fine, almost the texture of regular wheat flour. This is the brand I use.

20210313_073655-01.jpeg

My Triple Rice soap is as smooth as silk. I feel absolutely no graininess to it at all. Like Dawni, the rice flour I use is very fine, almost the texture of regular wheat flour. This is the brand I use.

View attachment 55058
USA Rice Flour!! YES! Misschief - what is a reasonable price for this rice flour? I'd like to order some for soaping and for making (edible) rice noodles and will have to purchase it online.

However, the soap was not made HP, so it was not a 'survives the cook' situation. I made this soap with the CP method.

Thanks for the clarification regarding the process.

No exfoliation in mine.
The rice flour I use looks very similar to my kaolin actually.. Just a different shade of white. Maybe if it were a coarser grind?

Different grind may be the detail. The rice flour I use on my my baking stone has the texture of fine sand between the fingers, not powdery soft like clay. I purchased it long ago from a bulk container at the grocery store so it's unclear what the brand/type is.

View attachment 55058

Cool, thanks for the tip! I will check this out.

I asked for details because I am curious if only using fine rice flour (and maybe also rice starch) will achieve similar results. It isn't holistic like a triple rice recipe, but in the interest of streamlining formulation it may be an acceptable option. I will report back when I am able to test.

Thanks for the clarification regarding the process.

Different grind may be the detail. The rice flour I use on my my baking stone has the texture of fine sand between the fingers, not powdery soft like clay. I purchased it long ago from a bulk container at the grocery store so it's unclear what the brand/type is.

Cool, thanks for the tip! I will check this out.

I asked for details because I am curious if only using fine rice flour (and maybe also rice starch) will achieve similar results. It isn't holistic like a triple rice recipe, but in the interest of streamlining formulation it may be an acceptable option. I will report back when I am able to test.
I think rice starch would work just fine but keep in mind that the rinse water, as well as the cooking water, will have rice starch in it. It's what makes the lye water thick, if you're using it to dissolve the lye.

USA Rice Flour!! YES! Misschief - what is a reasonable price for this rice flour? I'd like to order some for soaping and for making (edible) rice noodles and will have to purchase it online.
Oh gosh, Kim, I have no idea what I paid for it. I picked it up at my local grocery store a couple of years ago. That box is still more than 3/4 full.

Correct me if my understanding is wrong...

I use rice flour/powder in ALL my soaps... What makes this one different is the addition of the other rice stuff. In none of the soaps can you feel the rice powder (unless of course I do add something else that's coarser).

As for the other qualities.... I once tested a recipe with only one each of the rice additives. The aim was to try n see which made the triple rice one my most fluid HP soap though, not anything else.

I will say this - using one alone results in a bar that's nothing like the one that used all 3 lol - not hardness, lather, not even in terms of fluidity.

I did notice though, that these particular test soaps have been around for more than a year with no sign of DOS, compared to some other "regular" test soaps (without starch in any form) made around the same time. Is it the rice? Can't say......

Correct me if my understanding is wrong...

I use rice flour/powder in ALL my soaps... What makes this one different is the addition of the other rice stuff. In none of the soaps can you feel the rice powder (unless of course I do add something else that's coarser).

As for the other qualities.... I once tested a recipe with only one each of the rice additives. The aim was to try n see which made the triple rice one my most fluid HP soap though, not anything else.

I will say this - using one alone results in a bar that's nothing like the one that used all 3 lol - not hardness, lather, not even in terms of fluidity.

I did notice though, that these particular test soaps have been around for more than a year with no sign of DOS, compared to some other "regular" test soaps (without starch in any form) made around the same time. Is it the rice? Can't say......

Your understanding is correct. Thank you for clarifying the that you use rice flour/powder in all your soaps and why this method is unique because of the added soak/cook water and the puree. I guess it's the abundance of rice that makes it good!

I love using rice in one form or another in soap! I use it in most all of my bars

Hi Terri, will you please share your inspiration behind using rice in your soap? Dawni mentioned above that using rice as a cosmetic treatment is common where she. I'm curious about how you came to use it. Thanks!

View attachment 55058
I decided to add Mochiko sweet rice flour to my subscription order at Amazon. I will try it in soap and see if my skin does or does not find it to be exfoliating.

Misschief, when you made your triple rice soap, did you do HP like Dawni does, or did you do it CP like I did? I don't think it would really matter, but thought I'd ask. I have not noticed any difference using HP or CP when it comes to additives that my skin finds exfoliating. As I've said, colloidal oatmeal feels exfoliating to my skin, and it's pretty darn fine as I recall.

I do sometimes use rice powder in cooking, so it's not like this will go to waste if I do find it too rough on my skin.

Latest posts

Back