Triple butter versus Lard Palm No Butters

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapDaddy70

Reaction score
I have been testing a no Palm and no Lard recipe that uses Mango, Shea and Cocoa Butters. This triple butte recipe gives me such a different feeling bar then the recipe I use that has Palm and Lard and no butters at all. Both have some RBO and Coconut Oil. The triple butter recipe gives me a more matte type of surface and the Lard Palm gives me a much more shiny smoother finish. The triple butter recipe has 20% Shea, 15% Cocoa, and 10% Mango. The other parts are 20% Coconut, 15% Avocado, 15% RBO, 5% Castor. Is the chalkier matte feel from too much butters? Or is the lack of Lard? Both recipes used a 38% Lye concentration.

Some previous tests here had people finding a butter-heavy recipe feeling"draggy" when compared to other soaps, even excluding lard soaps (full disclosure, I love lard soaps!)
I also love my lard recipe but I am giving my wife a bunch of bars to bring to her school (she’s a teacher) for people to take for Christmas and I wanted a bar with no Palm or animal fats. I don’t sell but I am going to make up labels and try to have it look professional because my wife thinks it’s better then just bringing random bars without telling people what’s in them.

I also love my lard recipe but I am giving my wife a bunch of bars to bring to her school (she’s a teacher) for people to take for Christmas and I wanted a bar with no Palm or animal fats. I don’t sell but I am going to make up labels and try to have it look professional because my wife thinks it’s better then just bringing random bars without telling people what’s in them.
That sounds lovely. I bet they will love these!

These are the bars from this triple butter recipe that started this post.

Attachments

• AAE9569F-246F-4E99-944B-4A861491DC0B.jpeg
    AAE9569F-246F-4E99-944B-4A861491DC0B.jpeg
    238.4 KB · Views: 33
Your wife’s co-workers are going to love those beautiful soaps! Make sure to tell them they are to be used or you may find more than one in a couple years being used as decoration. I can imagine more than one person saying they are too pretty to use!

Back