Triethyl citrate

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amberatdawn

Reaction score
Hello all!

First time poster here. So, please excuse the "newbish" question.. I was given a few 4 oz bottles of what at first glance was pure EO, but the ingredients list includes EO and triethyl citrate. Google says it relates to citric acid, to some degree. My question is, can this cheap oil be used in CP?

Much thanks!

Hello all!

First time poster here. So, please excuse the "newbish" question.. I was given a few 4 oz bottles of what at first glance was pure EO, but the ingredients list includes EO and triethyl citrate. Google says it relates to citric acid, to some degree. My question is, can this cheap oil be used in CP?

Much thanks!
I know this is such a late response but I was wondering the same thing and see no one answered you. I was able to thankfully find the answer and it is no! It cannot be used in soap. I made a soap with "cheap" essential oil from Amazon that had triethyl citrate as one of the ingredients (I didn't realize), and caused my CP soap batch to thicken BADLY and FAST. I glumped it in the mold and was able to salvage it. However it has huge air pockets since it was so thick. So it's not great. I found this review where it happened to someone else. I hope this answers your question!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240407-162411.png
    Screenshot_20240407-162411.png
    357.6 KB · Views: 0
I know this is such a late response but I was wondering the same thing and see no one answered you. I was able to thankfully find the answer and it is no! It cannot be used in soap. I made a soap with "cheap" essential oil from Amazon that had triethyl citrate as one of the ingredients (I didn't realize), and caused my CP soap batch to thicken BADLY and FAST. I glumped it in the mold and was able to salvage it. However it has huge air pockets since it was so thick. So it's not great. I found this review where it happened to someone else. I hope this answers your question!
I was just looking at the Ola Prima brand. Their so-called Lavender Essential oil has Lavender Fragrance Oil and Triethyl Citrate listed under the ingredients. You have to watch everything on Amazon these days.

From Wikpedia: Triethyl citrate is an ester of citric acid. It is a colorless, odorless liquid used as a food additive, emulsifier and solvent (E number E1505)[4] to stabilize foams, especially as whipping aid for egg white.[5] It is also used in pharmaceutical coatings and plastics.[6]

Triethyl citrate is also used as a plasticizer for polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and similar plastics.[7]

Triethyl citrate has been used as a pseudo-emulsifier in e-cigarette juices.[8] It functions essentially like lecithin used in food products, but with the possibility of vaporization which lecithin does not have. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triethyl_citrate

Last edited:
I was just looking at the Ola Prima brand. Their so-called Lavender Essential oil has Lavender Fragrance Oil and Triethyl Citrate listed under the ingredients. You have to watch everything on Amazon these days.

From Wikpedia: Triethyl citrate is an ester of citric acid. It is a colorless, odorless liquid used as a food additive, emulsifier and solvent (E number E1505)[4] to stabilize foams, especially as whipping aid for egg white.[5] It is also used in pharmaceutical coatings and plastics.[6]

Triethyl citrate is also used as a plasticizer for polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and similar plastics.[7]

Triethyl citrate has been used as a pseudo-emulsifier in e-cigarette juices.[8] It functions essentially like lecithin used in food products, but with the possibility of vaporization which lecithin does not have. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triethyl_citrate
Yes you sure do. Unfortunately. I am desperately seeking affordable options to fragrance my soaps - it's tough!!

Back