Tried the corn oil w oat flour & bentonite

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vgurer

Reaction score
%70corn oil, 20 coconut, 10 palm, totaling 1500gr, 570 gr water w 3 ts salt, 222 gr NAOH. 6 tbsp oatmeal flour, 3 tbsp bentonite. 46gr of honeysuckle & chamomile. some mica puffs on top.
I tried a 3 layered approach but failed. Very difficult to dissolve the muddy bentonite, (I put few tbsp of water without deducting it from the lye solution. it was like artist mud when I added to the blend.) I blended everything, divided to 3 colored, but the middle was already hardened, so I gave quick whisk it was crumbly -my mistake-. poured the layers with some spoon. 2 days in the mold. its bleeding some separation? from the whisked part or maybe bentonite held some part of the oil? I don’t know. The smell of used, old corn oil was lightly present under the disguise of the FO

Attachments

• IMG_20200218_083307.jpg
    IMG_20200218_083307.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200218_083559.jpg
    IMG_20200218_083559.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 15
If this was a test run, why make 1500g of soap? That's way too much soap to make if you're experimenting. In any case, let the soap sit, air out and hopefully the oil will absorb back some. Corn oil, especially that much corn oil, is not one of the top choices for soap as it can go rancid fairly quickly. I get trying to use what is on hand but this particular recipe might turn out to be a waste of valuable resources. The risk for DOS is pretty high and it already smells old to you. Still, it couldn't hurt to keep it as a tester.

As far as handling bentonite clay, use as much water as needed. When you first mix the water with the clay, it's a good idea to let it sit for a little bit for the clay to absorb the water, then mix in a little more. In truth, you probably could have gotten away with at least half the clay you used and saved a bit of trouble there. That is a very strong clay and definitely not recommended for sensitive or drier skin types and you used enough to potentially dry out the oiliest of skins

I agree with the above, that's a lot of soap for testing something out. Especially if it fails and the high possibility of it going rancid. Way too much clay. 1-1.5 tsp ppo is generally adequate. That may be part of your problem. Also looks like maybe it overheated some with the crater in the photo. That can cause your oils to ooze and separate. I would just leave it for a while and see what happens. See if it can be saved, may need to rebatch.

If this was a test run, why make 1500g of soap? That's way too much soap to make if you're experimenting. In any case, let the soap sit, air out and hopefully the oil will absorb back some. Corn oil, especially that much corn oil, is not one of the top choices for soap as it can go rancid fairly quickly. I get trying to use what is on hand but this particular recipe might turn out to be a waste of valuable resources. The risk for DOS is pretty high and it already smells old to you. Still, it couldn't hurt to keep it as a tester.

As far as handling bentonite clay, use as much water as needed. When you first mix the water with the clay, it's a good idea to let it sit for a little bit for the clay to absorb the water, then mix in a little more. In truth, you probably could have gotten away with at least half the clay you used and saved a bit of trouble there. That is a very strong clay and definitely not recommended for sensitive or drier skin types and you used enough to potentially dry out the oiliest of skins
Thank you for the tips. You are right about the huge batch! I feel that I wasted good materials. I only have 2 molds and when I decided to experiment the smaller one was on another experiment:) [I tried to add some homemade pomegranate jam to a simple soap formula) But, I learned that bentonite is too strong, and the color is dirty, oat flour is too thin, I have to grind it by myself next time. Never use corn oil again. thanks

Thank you for the tips. You are right about the huge batch! I feel that I wasted good materials. I only have 2 molds and when I decided to experiment the smaller one was on another experiment:) [I tried to add some homemade pomegranate jam to a simple soap formula) But, I learned that bentonite is too strong, and the color is dirty, oat flour is too thin, I have to grind it by myself next time. Never use corn oil again. thanks
Pomegranate jam? I never had it and it sounds interesting. The thing with additives is that you are actually better off adding too little by mistake than adding too much. Oat flour is nice in soap and that I would not go past a tbsp per pound of oils. The clay, if your skin can handle it, stick to a tsp for now. I suggest getting as small an amount as possible of kaolin or rose clay. Those are also rather inexpensive clays but they are amongst the most gentle of the bunch.

When experimenting, many of us improvise molds. Card board milk cartons, plastic margarine tubs... As long as the plastic has a number 5 for recycling, you can use it.
Or a 2. Either number is good for improve soap molds.

Back