Tried something new yesterday...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
... and cut it this morning. This is my first attempt at One Pot Wonder, and I'm very pleased. We've been housebound here in Portland since Friday night with a snow and ice storm, and a long power outage, and it was so nice to have something turn out well in the midst of all this! I call it Sea Swirl, and scented it with cedarwood, lemongrass, rosemary, and eucalyptus essential oils.

54 Sea Swirl.jpg

Really really like those colors! What were the ratios with your essential oils? We have family in Portland. With several days below zero here in Minnesota, it's easy to be smug but we have to remind ourselves that other communities don't have the insulation, equipment, salt, etc. Hang in there!

Really really like those colors! What were the ratios with your essential oils? We have family in Portland. With several days below zero here in Minnesota, it's easy to be smug but we have to remind ourselves that other communities don't have the insulation, equipment, salt, etc. Hang in there!
We're just not used to this kind of weather in Portland. The city pretty much shuts down with even a half-inch of snow. And the freezing rain/ice storm makes it really treacherous! All surfaces became like a skating rink!

As for the EOs, I used 36% cedarwood, 34% lemongrass, 18% rosemary, and 12% eucalyptus. It was a recipe from Modern Soapmaking/eocalc.com called Seascape.

Thanks, @dibbles ! That's high praise. It is a fun technique and I'll be doing it again soon.

It seems very similar to the Clyde Slide. Could you or anyone else tell me what is the difference between the two? Is is just about pouring into the corner of the mold instead of along the side?

Thanks, @dibbles ! That's high praise. It is a fun technique and I'll be doing it again soon.

It seems very similar to the Clyde Slide. Could you or anyone else tell me what is the difference between the two? Is is just about pouring into the corner of the mold instead of along the side?
The soap is layered into the pouring pot in both techniques. The biggest difference is in the pour. As you said, the one pot wonder is poured back and forth along the long side of the mold, while the Clyde Slide is poured (at least how I do it) holding the pot in one position for most of the pour before moving it.

The soap is layered into the pouring pot in both techniques. The biggest difference is in the pour. As you said, the one pot wonder is poured back and forth along the long side of the mold, while the Clyde Slide is poured (at least how I do it) holding the pot in one position for most of the pour before moving it.
Thank you for clarifying that. I wasn't sure they weren't the same thing with different names.
Do you pour Clyde from the corner of the mold or can if be from any one spot? I bet you might get interesting patterns from the center too...

Thank you for clarifying that. I wasn't sure they weren't the same thing with different names.
Do you pour Clyde from the corner of the mold or can if be from any one spot? I bet you might get interesting patterns from the center too...
Any spot - I've poured from either one end or into the center of the mold. Clyde Yoshida created the technique, and you can watch videos on his (Vibrant Soap) YouTube channel.

One of the first (maybe the first he did). It looks like he did pour back and forth on this, but into the center of the mold rather than a wall pour like you would do with the one pot wonder.
Maybe he always moved the pot - it's been awhile since I've watched the videos. Sorry if I remembered this wrong and confused you. There are lots of Clyde Slide videos to watch on YouTube.

Great video, thank you! Besides his swirl technique, his tips about color mixing are terrific. Didn't know there's actual methods of putting colors together -- I just put my mica jars next to each other and move them around until I get a combo I like. Not very scientific, but it sorta works.

... and cut it this morning. This is my first attempt at One Pot Wonder, and I'm very pleased. We've been housebound here in Portland since Friday night with a snow and ice storm, and a long power outage, and it was so nice to have something turn out well in the midst of all this! I call it Sea Swirl, and scented it with cedarwood, lemongrass, rosemary, and eucalyptus essential oils.

View attachment 54093
Lovely-bet it smells as pretty as it looks!

Back