Trick or Treat

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BattleGnome

Reaction score
I've been back and forth about having candy for trick or treaters or not participating this year or putting out gift bags/candy and hiding from the germs. I just brought the idea with my husband but I'm thinking of making small gift bags with a temporary tattoo and maybe a small toy. I'd like to find cheap masks to add to the bags but that would be a political statement in my area (Michigan) and some of the neighbors have been a bit obvious about their standings.

What are you guys doing? Is anyone hoping for a good old fashioned Halloween or are you thinking of ways to adapt?

We don’t get too many trick or treaters any more. Last year we had only 5 or 6. I think I’m going to just put a bowl with treats outside and hope one kid doesn’t take it all. We might not even have any kids at all come this year.

My kids are doing a drive through style ‘trunk or treat’ that our aunts church is putting on. We won’t be actively trick or treating door to door but we’ve never really been big into that anyway. We will have candy for the trick or treaters just in case we have any. We’ll wear masks if we hand any out and that’s about as much thought as I’m willing to put into it this year lol. We’re just focused on giving our children all the Halloween fun in terms of crafts, pumpkin carving, and a not too scary kiddie Halloweenish movie.

I don't participate in trick or treat anymore. I have a aggressive dog who is terrified of stranger so we just turn out the lights and close the curtains. I usually have to rope off the porch too as kids still stop by.

I expect it to be business as usual since most people here act like covid doesn't exist. I've never seen a child with a mask and everyone will happily get up in your face during social interactions.

We don’t get too many trick or treaters any more. Last year we had only 5 or 6. I think I’m going to just put a bowl with treats outside and hope one kid doesn’t take it all. We might not even have any kids at all come this year.
Lol...there’s always THAT kid. 😂😂😂

We loving decorating and having a lot of trick or treaters but this year we're not going to give out candy. I'm not sure we'll have many kids coming around and then would it be too much trouble if parents want to wipe everything down before the kids eat it (like the outside wrapper)? We put our decorations out as have a lot of other neighbors but I don't know how many will actually trick or treat.

I don't know about Hubby, but I don't know which way to go. We have some kids in the neighborhood & I'd like to see them out in costumes, of course. But I don't really want to risk anyone's lives either. If we do give out treats, I think I'll sit outside with my mask on and a bowl on a table a few feet away, so they can take what they want & maintain social distancing.

But none of the parents on our block are letting their kids interact with others outside their family, even if they are allowed to ride their scooters up and down the sidewalks again. One of our new neighbor boys came over to talk with me & granddaughter one day, and even though we all maintained good social distancing, when his mom saw him on our lawn (he wanted to pet Kitty Baby), she called him back home and he's not come close again since. I don't blame her; I would do the same if I had small children.

Our HOA has asked that there not be any trick or treaters going door to door this year, and to have alternative celebrations. So in the school parking lot they are going to have a "trunk or treat" and have the kids go to the cars trick or treating, and they will let them in at 6ft intervals per kid.
Luckily we don't have any small kids of the trick or treat age, so we can just skip the whole thing.

My opinion may not be popular, but I think the kids need some form of normal this year and I think Halloween and trick or treating can be done safely. If people don’t want to keep opening their door to hand out candy they could put a little TV table or something outside the door with a bowl of candy and a sign please take one. They could sit inside their door and wave to the kids and supervise and enjoy all the costumes and the cuteness. The kids are back to school so how is walking around outside (with a mask if necessary) any more dangerous?

Halloween has always been a big deal for us and our daughter, but we don’t live in a place where we have kids trick or treating now. We used to be all in on the decor also, but think this year will be more just fall decor. Breaks my heart for the kids this year, but better safe than sorry I suppose.

Halloween isn't very big here is Australia but the government has put out some some COVID safe tips for trick or treating including only handing out individually wrapped treats, potentially hanging the treat bags on your front fence, social distancing and having hand sanitiser at your gate etc.

My little one loves Halloween so we are just having her 3 cousins over for a mini Party and I will do a treasure hunt so that they can have a bit of fun!

Has anyone ever ordered from Oriental Trading? The seem to have a nice assortment of the stuff I’m looking for at reasonable prices. I’m more asking if they’re fast. I’ve only got 2 weeks after all

Has anyone ever ordered from Oriental Trading? The seem to have a nice assortment of the stuff I’m looking for at reasonable prices. I’m more asking if they’re fast. I’ve only got 2 weeks after all
Yes, fast and big selection, but you do get what you pay for. It's pretty cheap stuff. If you need it fast, you might be able to get the same stuff at one of those pop up Halloween stores...

Not wasting money here buying lollies to hand out to strangers, when you don't see them any other time. Previous years I use to do it and I think why? they are not family and I wouldn't ask a stranger in the street could I have a lolly. Buy too many and guess who eats them, when the last couple of years they haven't come. I use to put up decorations in the yard about 4 wks ahead, so that's how they knew to come here.

Yes, they have pretty quick shipping.

I have decorated as I always do for Halloween. It’s one of my favorite holidays. We don’t get a lot of kids in my neighborhood but we get some. So, I decided to make individual bags of goodies. I bought some Halloween ziploc bags and will put some candy and other goodies in each bag.

Latest posts

Back