Trial By Fire - red mica test batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karmic

Reaction score
So a lot of people have been talking lately about suggestions for red micas for CP and of course, this new one from Nurture has come up quite a bit. Since I managed to get it in and many are curious about it I decided to do a test batch and post the results here for people to see.

blood in my batter.jpg

Look at that red. God it's glorious isn't it? It's my first red soap and I'm super stoked about this.

for the love of gawd.jpg
All mixed up. It almost perfectly matches my red spatula.

I was going to try and spin swirl this one because why the heck not? Unfortunately I ran into the same problem I did with my very first batch ever, pretty quick acceleration once I added the same FO I used that time: Nurture's Cavalier. My best friend loves this fragrance so I wanted to make a batch for her. Got too thick to spin though. But I broke out the chopsticks and made it work.

cackles.jpg
Sorry it's so blurry but I was stupidly excited

I was gonna use uncolored batter at first to see if it bleeds but who can resist red and black? Not me! Anyways it's in the mold and hopefully, gellin like a felon. I'll post more photos tomorrow and then when I unmold and cut.

The star of this post - Nurtures Trial By Fire
black used - Nurtures Nocturnal
Fragrance - Nurtures Cavalier that lies and says it doesn't accelerate but always seems to for me grumblegrumble

So I decided to CPOP this batch because my furnace is on the fritz and my house has been getting cold at night (don't worry, we're fine. Just need extra blankets till it's fixed) and it's been doing weird things to my soap (soda ash, taking longer to get solid enough to get out of the mold, etc). To my surprise, it was nice and hard and ready to cut already. I might have to do this more often. Anyways...

tada.jpg

The white dots appear to just be air bubbles that I didn't get out of the soap. I didn't even notice them (or that little scrap hanging off the back lol) until I got the image on my computer screen. I think the lightbox just accentuated them. But there you have it, a nice, deep true red right out of the jar.

@ShenandoahEarth&Botanical and @Tracy von Elling I know you both were looking for a good red. Hope this helps you guys.

How much mica did you use ppo? In my experience with the Nuture trio blend, I can achieve a true red using what probably amounts to 2 or more tsp ppo, but get more of a coral red if I use closer to 1 tsp ppo.

How much mica did you use ppo? In my experience with the Nuture trio blend, I can achieve a true red using what probably amounts to 2 or more tsp ppo, but get more of a coral red if I use closer to 1 tsp ppo.

I didn't do a precise measurement but I'd say about 1 tps ppo. This was only a one pound test batch and I split the batter roughly in half for each color and gave each 1/2 tsp of their respective colorants

So I decided to CPOP this batch because my furnace is on the fritz and my house has been getting cold at night (don't worry, we're fine. Just need extra blankets till it's fixed) and it's been doing weird things to my soap (soda ash, taking longer to get solid enough to get out of the mold, etc). To my surprise, it was nice and hard and ready to cut already. I might have to do this more often. Anyways...

It was late Spring when I started soaping and was putting it out in the garage and all was well until the weather turned cool, so I upped my Lye Concentration and started using the CPOP and it has been working well.

Lovely looking soap...the red turned out really nice.

Latest posts

Back