Travelling Faux Funnel

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that a vertical or horizonal cut? Looks like a vertical cut wall pour, but Fata Morgana says it's a faux funnel. I get something more like a tiger swirl if I vertical cut a faux funnel.

I tried and tried to get an outlined wall pour but just couldn't get it to work. If one of you wants to share the secret I would be forever grateful :)

Is that a vertical or horizonal cut? Looks like a vertical cut wall pour, but Fata Morgana says it's a faux funnel. I get something more like a tiger swirl if I vertical cut a faux funnel.

I tried and tried to get an outlined wall pour but just couldn't get it to work. If one of you wants to share the secret I would be forever grateful :)

I believe it is in a slab mold. You pour color one, then color 2 in the middle of color one to make a bull's eye. Then you move to a different area of the mold, pour color 1 and then color 2. you do this over and over moving a little each time until you are out of batter.

Of course! That makes perfect sense. I rarely use a slab mold so I just didn't think along those lines. I'm set to try this on Saturday. And I guess the one I did tonight in a tall & skinny isn't going to look like those!

I always thought this was a vertical cut? Will be interesting to know as I was gonna give this a try in a few weeks

This can be done in a loaf mold as well and cut on the vertical. THe pattern will be somewhat dependent on the trace, and on how much batter you pour over the contrasting color. If the trace is thicker, it is more likely to spread out and give you a more shallow flattened look on the vertical. If it's really thick, it will be quite flattened. If it's thinner, the main color will drop more into the mold and into the contrast color, like Fata's second multi-color soap, which looks like it was done at a thinner trace. The other was done on the vertical as well but at a somewhat thicker trace. If it had been done at a thick trace it would more fishnetty (Yes, I just made that up.)

In a slab mold, because you are looking at the surface, the effect will be different because you are looking down at the bulleyes on the horizontal and on the sides, the pattern will look a bit different because the soap has only so far to drop down.

The Perle one is done in a loaf and cut on the vertical. The green one was done in a slab, I'm almost certain because of the sides although this could have been done at a thicker trace, but is definitely cut on the horizontal.

Screen Shot 2015-09-09 at 6.03.47 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-02-12 at 7.27.09 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Newbie i think your explanation is spot on! I had a first attempt at this yesterday - in a loaf mould cut on the vertical. My fragrance oil accelerated so trace became very thick very quickly, i was spooning it in at the end. And as a result the pattern came out very shallow after the cut.

1456657390053.jpg

Latest posts

Back