Travel soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DucknBear Gracie

Reaction score
Anyone got any ideas on packaging for soaps you could take away on travel with you? Lush do their special tins for their shampoo bars, but I find they always get stuck, even if the bar is dry and its awkward and messy to get out - My idea was maybe shaving a bar with a veggie peeler and then putting it in something, but I still don't know how well that would work, I think it would look nice though, little soap curls in a jar maybe, could be a nice Christmas gift! I also think it would be nice to have my own bar of soap with me when I go anywhere (my skin can be very funny with certain soaps and I know my soap doesn't make my eczema flare up) but its just not viable to take an entire bar without a pot or anything to keep it in. I just wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas!

I travel a lot, so travel soap is a standard for me. Originally I bought a guest soap tray mold (with indentations for the cutting) and used those. But now, I just cut small sizes to fit into my travel soap holder. No particular mold is really needed once I decided on the size I prefer for my travels. I wrap them the same as I do my larger soaps - shrink wrap & a mini label. I generally just keep them for myself rather than giving them away, so I don't do the whole label, just the high points to help me recall something specific about the soap on my travels.

I have a good solid plastic mini travel-size soap holder, from where I have no recollection! It's a small version of a larger more common soap holder (such as one may send their kid off to college with for taking to the dorm.) It's really about a perfect size to put one or two (depending on how small or thick) hotel soaps into. I always keep at least one travel bar in it and that lives in my ditty bag in my suitcase. In addition, I pack a couple (or more) new travel soaps for when I finish the other one.

Additionally, every time I travel I also carry with me one or two small travel soap trays (the kind that are self-draining) so that my travel soaps dry quickly. That also lives in my ditty bag in my suitcase.

So I would suggest that first you decide what size seems best for a travel soap, and find a suitable plastic container in which it will fit, then consider including a soap saver of some sort (self-draining soap dish for use while the soap is out of the holder). I would suggest finding a plastic mini travel soap holder that would fit your desired needs and cut soap to fit somewhat loosely. I would not choose tin or metal or anything fragile as hopefully, it will last a long time for many many trips.

As far as leaves of soap inside a container. They look nice in the beginning, but eventually they look like soap powder. Not pretty for long, especially for the seasoned traveler, and even worse if kept in a handbag for any length of time. And I never found those paper thin soap 'leaves' to be enough soap for even a single handwashing event. Seemed like a nice idea, but IME fell short of my expectations.

I used to be on the road nearly full time. The best solution I found was to wrap a bar in a dry washcloth from home. Let the bar drip dry for a few minutes after your shower, then re-wrap it in the same washcloth. The surface of the damp bar might stick a bit to the cloth, but it never penetrated onto other things in my bag. This would work for weeks, then when I got home I would swap it out for a fresh washcloth. No matter what kind of container I used, it always ended up a goopy mess. The dry washcloth solution never let me down.

Someone should come up with a marketing approach for a "Road Warrior Soap Cloth" *shrug*

Back