Transparent Soap Question?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBandCW

Reaction score
I've been doing tons of research on how to make soap clear. I have requests for glycerin soap and trying to explain my soap has glycerin in it doesn't sell the bar as they are looking for clear soap.

I'm not looking to make clear soap, just explain how it is made. From what I gather, in order to make soap clear, you add sugar and alcohol to the hot lye to keep the soap crystals from becoming opaque. If this is true, then my soap has as much glycerin as the so called "glycerin soaps".

Am I correct??:confused:

I think those people are thinking of Melt and Pour soaps. Transparent soaps and melt and pour soaps are usually not the same things (although, MP soaps can be transparent).

Traditionally, transparent soaps are made as you said, with grain alcohol and sugar added. They may or may not contain added glycerin. Melt and pour soaps that are transparent use a similar principle, and use solvents to make the soap clear. In many cases they use propelyne glycol, sorbitol, and added glycerin. Sorbitol is a sugar alcohol and propylene glycol is an alcohol with a higher boiling point than traditional ethanol. Glycerin also helps make the soap clearer.

I've only seen 1 video on youtube about melt and pour soap making that is transparent from scratch.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHS1V8HIwoE[/ame]

Honestly, I'd recommend getting pre-made MP base from SFIC if you have a customer asking for it. They are the best bases I've seen around/used. Making base from scratch is very hard. And making clear base from scratch is that much harder, if not more.

ETA:
If this is true, then my soap has as much glycerin as the so called "glycerin soaps".

Am I correct??:confused:

No, not quite. Glycerin soaps (AKA melt and pour) have added glycerin to make it have more glycerin than a traditional CP/HP bar soap because it helps with getting the soap clear and melt smoothly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back