Transparent Soap Adventures

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two things...
1) The technique described above I use in liquid soap and non-soap products. And yes, the color comes through. For example, I have a blend that contains German Chamomile -- it colors the water pale blue to minty green. The water is not cloudy, but clear. Once added to the product, it's so light it doesn't matter, to me at least. :)

2) Unfortunately, all my transparent soaps were colored. If I were trying to make clear, not cloudy, and no trace of amber color, I think I'd go nuts trying to figure that one out! :confused: Because all liquid soaps I've made, for example, have that amber hue to them.

I do admire your persistence in trying to achieve colorless soap. Have you tried, or do you use, stearic acid? That, plus lowering the glycerin and upping the sugar syrup for better clarity might work??? Dunno.
:smallshrug:

ETA: FYI: Polysorbate is a sugar-based product. Poly-20 with olive oil for non-foaming products; Poly-80 with coconut oil for foaming products. It is sometimes used to make water-based fats, like cocoa butter for example, compatible with liquid soap.

Last edited:
Thank you! I am tried stearin acid some time ago and failed. I will admit I didn't give it a chance, but really wanted to stick with more readily available and traditional materials. I may need to revisit it. [emoji4]

Here is my troubled bar...
IMG_0368.JPG
IMG_0369.JPG

I think you can see some areas of clarity, but you can also see the blotches within, cloudiness.

I think you can see some areas of clarity, but you can also see the blotches within, cloudiness.
Yes, I see the problem, but I don't know how to correct it. Actually, it looks quite nice!

This is an old pic from 2004 or 2005 (?) when I was making transparents. You can see the clarity even though the bars are colored. Solvents used: sugar syrup, glycerin, ethanol.
Pink & Blue.jpg

Wish I could be more help. :(

Latest posts

Back