Tracing with GM Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpstephy85

Reaction score
Does anyone see that their GM soap traces or accelerates quicker than with just water? I SB to emulsion then add color and fragrance/EO stirring by hand, and within no more than two minutes I have a heavy trace and gloop it in the mold. Now, this has even happened on a naked soap. I know the geranium rose EO from SMR accelerated like crazy the other day and I did lavender tonight and it was a little faster but not much more than the plain one I did this week.

Oils (in order of amount)
Palm
OO
PKO
Castor

Now my milk temp has been around 66F as the high and the oils around 95F. I don't want to cool the oils down too much and have them solidify on me, and I use Frozen GM in a cold water bath. SB for no more than ten seconds to get emulsion/very light trace. Hope this helps.

Oh, and one last thing: how many times do you like to strain your milk/lye solution before adding to your oils?

Last edited:
Personally, I soap cold all the time. :) to match it i just do my oils first and let it cool down, if they are still too hot for the lye, I set my oils in a cold water bath while my lye gets to room temp until they get close in temperature. Depending on your recipe, they shouldn't solidify.

If your temps are way to different, it could cause a reaction or especially that Rose! I never have a problem soaping cold. However working with rose, crap.. I had some severe botched batches.

Last edited by a moderator:
I soap at room temp or just warm and haven't really noticed a difference. However, I do the 50/50 method and mix my lye with water then add the milk that I've also added powdered milk to give me 100% into my oils. I've not noticed that it traces more rapidly that way. I generally have plenty of time to do swirls or layering as long as my EO/FO behave.

I almost always use a milk in my soaps (Coconut, Cream, Buttermilk, Goats). Otherwise Beer, coffee or tea.
Sorry I'm not much help.

Thanks Mawr and Shunt. The business I am making this for wants them to be 100% (or as close to) GM. I think I uncovered what my issue is though and it was the liquid amount was less than what I weighed out after I strain my milk/lye solution. I was losing about four to five ounces of liquid because of the fat I was straining out. So, I am just adding water back to the milk to bring it back up before combining with my oils and that has helped a lot. I have been able to do a lavender and also a lilac batch since with no major acceleration :clap:

Latest posts

Back