Tracing question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuneP

Reaction score
I've read about trace and understand what you should look for for light, medium and heavy trace,, but watching some of the CP videos on you tube, even in one of two closeups I don't see any sign of light trace. It looks like they just mix in the lye enough to mix well and then pour parts of the batch in the cups with the colorants and coming to trace in the cups, Or, am I just not seeing those videos clearly?

The reason I'm asking this is I'm working up to doing my first swirl batch .I won't be doing too many colors, just two, maybe three. I've made a coat hanger swirl tool, have come up with a recipe I feel comfortable with, but I'd love to know if some people come to trace after a quick mixing/incorporating of the lye solution, and then pouring into individual cups and finishing trace there. Also, when doing a few colors, is best to stay at light trace, or better to try for medium trace before pouring?

So much to learn!
Thanks!
June

hi June,

i think the stage that you were seeing in those youtube videos is called emulsification. it's the stage before trace, where the oils and lye have just started to mixed together and forming an emulsion.

if your technique is complicated and needs a lot of time, this would be a good way to do it. you'll be able to have enough time to do your colors and such.

That's how I do it - emulsify the main batch, and then divide batter and mix in colorants - getting to the trace I want there. One tip - you can premix your colorants with some liquid to reduce the amount of SBing you have to do with your batter.

Latest posts

Back