Trace times

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadameC

Reaction score
Hi all ! Does anyone know of anywhere with a list of ingredients that are known to speed up trace times ? I have my own little list but have not found a compiled list of trace accelerators.

I am not aware of any pre-existing list, but here are a few of which I'm aware:

~ Any EO with significant eugenol content, including cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and a few others that aren't coming to mind ATM.

~ Most floral FOs and EOs

~ Coconut oil, castor oil (mild), stearic acid (major), pine tar (major), and most butters

~ Any amount of finished soap, liquid or solid. This includes the bits and bobs that may be inside of your stick blender bell, under the blades, etc. - one good reason to thoroughly clean your SB between batches. Want to speed up trace on your liquid soap? Add a squirt of two of finished and diluted liquid soap (real soap, not a syndet like Dawn). You don't have to use soap made from the same exact ingredients as the new batch, but if you do, then you don't have to worry about label changes.

~ Dry ingredients like AC, TD, clays, etc. They don't accelerate trace per se, but they do thicken the batter quickly

~ Heat (not an ingredient per se, but worth mentioning)

~ Stick-blending (ditto)

Last edited:
Back