Tousseh Silk Fibers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millerson15

Reaction score
I have been attempting to dissolve Tousseh Silk Fibers in my lye water the last few batches, but I always end up removing the clump with a spoon. Any tips on dissolving these fibers?

Thanks!

Try pulling them into strands and letting them soak in the water for a few minutes before adding your lye. After adding your lye, stir until the solution is clear.

I do what Snappy recommended. I pull them very thin, it there are small clumps still sometimes I just cut it with scissors into my water and let it soak a bit then add my lye.

I cut it into tiny tiny pieces with scissors - about 3 mm long - then soak it, then put the lye in on top and stir. This seems to work. I still strain it as i am paranoid about getting "bits" in my soap but this method seems to be getting better results.

I do what snappy and Shari do. I stretch the fibers out as thin and as wispy as cobwebs, then I soak them in my water for about 10 minutes before adding the lye.

By the way, how much silk are you adding? It's always a possibility that one might be adding too much. For what it's worth, for each pound of oils in my batch, I pull off a clump of silk that's 1/4 to 1/2 the size of a standard cotton ball that one can buy at the pharmacy.

IrishLass :)

I cut it into tiny tiny pieces with scissors - about 3 mm long - then soak it, then put the lye in on top and stir. This seems to work. I still strain it as i am paranoid about getting "bits" in my soap but this method seems to be getting better results.

Haha! I'm just the opposite. I'm paranoid about getting soap in my "bits." :twisted:

I cut my silk into tiny pieces on top of my weighed-out water, then sprinkle my weighed-out lye on top of it ensuring the lye 'sink' all the silk in the container. I then gently stir periodically while I weigh out my oils and allow the lye/water mixture to cool. I've never not had all my silk completely dissolve.

Does anyone know if tussah silk is harder to dissolve than silk cocoons? I just cut up my cocoons in 4 or 5 pieces and toss into my hot lye. Mine will not dissolve in lye that is not hot. I only used tussah once when I was given it in a swap, but I prefer cocoons because I find them cleaner although more expensive

I do what a lot of other people here suggested and precut it before doing the lye mixture. Good luck with your next batch

I do what snappy and Shari do. I stretch the fibers out as thin and as wispy as cobwebs, then I soak them in my water for about 10 minutes before adding the lye.

By the way, how much silk are you adding? It's always a possibility that one might be adding too much. For what it's worth, for each pound of oils in my batch, I pull off a clump of silk that's 1/4 to 1/2 the size of a standard cotton ball that one can buy at the pharmacy.

IrishLass :)

This! I tried other methods but this works every time.

Back