Tousseh Silk Fibers

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

millerson15

Reaction score
I have been attempting to dissolve Tousseh Silk Fibers in my lye water the last few batches, but I always end up removing the clump with a spoon. Any tips on dissolving these fibers?

Thanks!

snappyllama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try pulling them into strands and letting them soak in the water for a few minutes before adding your lye. After adding your lye, stir until the solution is clear.

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I do what Snappy recommended. I pull them very thin, it there are small clumps still sometimes I just cut it with scissors into my water and let it soak a bit then add my lye.

penelopejane

Reaction score
I do what Snappy recommended. I pull them very thin, it there are small clumps still sometimes I just cut it with scissors into my water and let it soak a bit then add my lye.
I cut it into tiny tiny pieces with scissors - about 3 mm long - then soak it, then put the lye in on top and stir. This seems to work. I still strain it as i am paranoid about getting "bits" in my soap but this method seems to be getting better results.

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I do what snappy and Shari do. I stretch the fibers out as thin and as wispy as cobwebs, then I soak them in my water for about 10 minutes before adding the lye.

By the way, how much silk are you adding? It's always a possibility that one might be adding too much. For what it's worth, for each pound of oils in my batch, I pull off a clump of silk that's 1/4 to 1/2 the size of a standard cotton ball that one can buy at the pharmacy.

IrishLass :)

TeresaT

I see you.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I cut it into tiny tiny pieces with scissors - about 3 mm long - then soak it, then put the lye in on top and stir. This seems to work. I still strain it as i am paranoid about getting "bits" in my soap but this method seems to be getting better results.
Haha! I'm just the opposite. I'm paranoid about getting soap in my "bits." :twisted:

GrantLee63

Reaction score
I cut my silk into tiny pieces on top of my weighed-out water, then sprinkle my weighed-out lye on top of it ensuring the lye 'sink' all the silk in the container. I then gently stir periodically while I weigh out my oils and allow the lye/water mixture to cool. I've never not had all my silk completely dissolve.

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if tussah silk is harder to dissolve than silk cocoons? I just cut up my cocoons in 4 or 5 pieces and toss into my hot lye. Mine will not dissolve in lye that is not hot. I only used tussah once when I was given it in a swap, but I prefer cocoons because I find them cleaner although more expensive

queennikki

Reaction score
I do what a lot of other people here suggested and precut it before doing the lye mixture. Good luck with your next batch

Sonya-m

Reaction score
I do what snappy and Shari do. I stretch the fibers out as thin and as wispy as cobwebs, then I soak them in my water for about 10 minutes before adding the lye.

By the way, how much silk are you adding? It's always a possibility that one might be adding too much. For what it's worth, for each pound of oils in my batch, I pull off a clump of silk that's 1/4 to 1/2 the size of a standard cotton ball that one can buy at the pharmacy.

IrishLass :)

This! I tried other methods but this works every time.