Touching up shrink wraps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do any of you, or would any of you, go back to touch up your heat/shrink wraps at shops you sold to?

So this guy is my friend. He didn't ask me to, but I told him when he bought 24 bars of soap to begin with, that I would switch out soaps every so often (especially if they were seasonal). I need to keep this guy.

He had three xmas soaps left, so I went in to give him three different ones, cause nobody is buying xmas soaps right now.

But as I was looking at the soaps, the shrink wraps were a little baggy. Probably only noticeable to me. They look ok walking in, but when *I look at them I'm like UGH. Would you go in and hit them with the heat gun again?

And then I think...should I bring my heat gun in and touch them up, or just grab them all and take them home to do them? I live literally seconds away. I mean, if I bring the heat gun in, I'd have to find a place to plug it in and probably be a nuisance LOL. I guess I feel weird asking him. Like my packaging is sub-par. But its Florida, and its plastic. Temps have gone from 80s during the day to 40s at night.

And THEN I think, ok, when I become a big conglomerate/corporate soap maker selling to all of the local shops and then take over the world of soap making...how would I go about touching up all of these shops' soaps all over the world? LOL Just kidding LOL. "I know our wrappers are looking baggy, Kim will be here with her heat gun soon. Have no fear." LOL

I will touch up baggy wrappers before I take them to the gift shop, but I've never taken my heat gun to the shop. Yes, they do get a little crinkly as time passes, but I'm not certain the customer sees that as a negative. If you think about the commercial soaps that are wrapped in thin plastic, they're ALL crinkly due to the type of plastic film they use.

What I will do is inspect the bars out for display and pull any that look faded or dinged or whatever. Thankfully this shop doesn't get a lot of rambunctious customers, so there is seldom a lot of actual damage, like fingernail marks, dents from being dropped, etc.

I pulled three pine tar bars recently that looked unusually tired. I think the shop management had put these bars in a window display (the windows face south and west!) I don't have a lot of control over what the management does. :mad:

The soap got hours of direct sun for who knows how many weeks and it showed. Other bars from the same batch had been kept in a cool, dim storage room and were still fresh looking. That was a good reminder that how you store soap is just as important as how you make and cure it.

I generally don't touch up my wrappers, even when taking to my own shows. I have customers who are soap afficiandos and will look for the loose wrapped soaps - they get the idea that soap is like fine wine and gets better with age, so that is one thing they will look for to help them find a well aged soap. I have done it though for large-ish "purchase from stock" orders. For example, I did gift sets for a local business this fall, and one of the soaps was almost a year old so I did hit those with the heat gun because I knew they were gifts for their employees and presentation was important for this order.

I make soaps for a few breweries, and the local one has some old stock out. One day when I was there I asked the owner if he wanted to tighten up the wrappers for him and he said no, he didn't think the customers notice.

"...they get the idea that soap is like fine wine and gets better with age, so that is one thing they will look for to help them find a well aged soap..."

Now that's an interesting perspective!

Latest posts

Back