Totally off-topic - Does anyone use Steam or Steam Workshop?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If so, what is your experience? It's for developing games, gaming discussion, etc.

I also sent a query to my granddaughter, who has been designing & selling avatar accessories (for gaming characters). Not sure if she uses Steam, but if anyone in the family would, she seems the most likely one to ask. I also put in a query to my brother & a nephew who I know used to do something along the lines of gaming development but he has since gone into the medical field, so not sure he still dabbles or even has time for it anymore with 2 small children at home. Life circumstances has a way of changing our directions, doesn't it?

I use Steam for playing games. I'm also a game developer/videogame 3D artist. There's been controversy over the years with how much of a cut Steam takes from your titles and how hard it is to publicize your games on the platform against AAA studio games. I haven't published games on it personally but I've collaborated with people who have. Developers still strive to put their games on the platform since it's so popular and widely used.

As a gaming platform it's also okay, there's some quirks to it's UI but it's functional. Their gift card system is annoying (you need to add the recipient of the gift for 3+ days in order to send them a digital giftcard.)

Any specific reason why you ask? đź‘€

I asked my daughter about, but then my eyes glazed over and suddenly I was standing next to Charlie Brown while the teacher went WAA WAA Wass.

Yes, I use lots of games through them. Been playing a bit of subnautica 2 recently. It's fine. Why do you ask?

I ask because I play a game (on my tablet as a stand-alone, not on Steam) that recently added a Scenario Creator module to it. I learned that in order to save a scenario that I create, I have to use Steam Workshop and have a Steam account. I have used some of the other user-created scenarios and really enjoy what others have done, but the ones I have made are incomplete because I have no experience with Steam at all.

I did sign up for an account & see that I have to put money into it in order to do certain things with a Steam account. Interestingly, the version of the game via Steam, played on a PC is not the same as the one on my tablet. I am still waiting for a response from the game developer to find out if both are compatible AND if my history & achievements from the android version can be credited to the pc version.

The game in question is Rebel, Inc. (android version is the one I play). Steam has the PC version which is called Rebel Inc Escalation. I suspect the PC version may be a bit more robust, but I have not decided if I want to pay for this game again and start over from the beginning. If that is my only option, I probably will, though. Once I find a game I like, I tend to play it to death in whatever variables are available, until it becomes completely redundant and there's nowhere new or interesting to go with it.

I ask because I play a game (on my tablet as a stand-alone, not on Steam) that recently added a Scenario Creator module to it. I learned that in order to save a scenario that I create, I have to use Steam Workshop and have a Steam account. I have used some of the other user-created scenarios and really enjoy what others have done, but the ones I have made are incomplete because I have no experience with Steam at all.

I did sign up for an account & see that I have to put money into it in order to do certain things with a Steam account. Interestingly, the version of the game via Steam, played on a PC is not the same as the one on my tablet. I am still waiting for a response from the game developer to find out if both are compatible AND if my history & achievements from the android version can be credited to the pc version.

The game in question is Rebel, Inc. (android version is the one I play). Steam has the PC version which is called Rebel Inc Escalation. I suspect the PC version may be a bit more robust, but I have not decided if I want to pay for this game again and start over from the beginning. If that is my only option, I probably will, though. Once I find a game I like, I tend to play it to death in whatever variables are available, until it becomes completely redundant and there's nowhere new or interesting to go with it.
Steam is free for alot of stuff but other things you have to pay for. Mods are usually free unless it's an official expansion for a game, then sometimes you have to pay for it. Even some of the actual games are free or free to play with ads/in game store.

For example, I play Subnautica and Subnautica 2. I had to pay for both of those games, but now I can play them all I want. It's possible to download free mods for the games though I usually download my mods from Nexus rather than steam, and usually the mods available on steam and nexus are different.

The thing about all games is that the "engines" are different. Engines are special coding that's used to create and run games. Running crysis on a phone is going to be a much different game than one a laptop or a full pc due to space requirements and the like. And steam has expanded to also be available on console (like xbox) so that's something else too. The steam app on your phone or tablet won't have all the capabilities of one on a computer because the coding is different.

I use steam for all my games (even some very old ones finally work from steam. It just takes getting used to like most programs do.
I think you will enjoy it. Did you look at the workshop for Rebel Inc on steam? There's alot of mods.

Back