Totally excited!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made a white gardenia flower scented soap for my cousin today and I must say I am quite proud of how it looks so far. I divided the batter in half and used TD for one and black oxide for the other. I poured the batter into a 2# loaf mold with a home made divider. Then I used my spatula to make some 180 degree counter clockwise swirls & clockwise swirls in the batter. (I should have just stuck with one direction.). Then I spooned the rest of the batter on top of that and played around with some swirls. I think it looks great. I covered it with plastic and stuck it in the oven. The oven was at about 192 when I put it in (and turned it off). I just checked it. The oven is 84 and the soap is 96. It's doing well, I think. The plastic is still clean, so there was no overheating that I can tell. I'm going to take a nap, then make another batch this evening. Hot process this time. BTW: the FO came from WSP (got it during their 25% sale) and it does accelerate a bit. However, I had no real problems because I only SBd to emulsion before I added my colors. So, if you are planning on using that FO, be aware of that.

Then I used my spatula to make some 180 degree counter clockwise swirls & clockwise swirls in the batter. (I should have just stuck with one direction).
. Here's a picture.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here are the photos. I cut them too soon. The colors smeared. Also, I think there is way too much colorant in there. I think there is going to be staining. I'll figure it out when it is cured. If it stains, I'll rebatch it and add it to a batch the same size without colorants. The problem with that is it will end up a muddled grey. Not a great color for "White Gardenia Flowers" FO.

Cut bars close.JPG

Cut bars distant.JPG

Cut top.JPG

Teresa, I always have problems w/black, ie; no matter what I do if I get it dark enough to be happy with, it has colored lather. I have kind of just accepted that as the cost of a nice dark black.

Pretty! I love black and white soaps.

I often do a wash of them after they get a bit firmer. Newbie posted a thread about it a while back. It usually helps me clean up the smears and the colors pop more.

Latest posts

Back