Totally confused

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the split method whenever making goat milk soap. I always fully gel and it never scorches.....and my soaps never discolor to tan, provided I use a non-discoloring FO, that is...... they come out an off-white/ivory color. If I use TD, they look a pretty nice shade of white.

You can make a 100% goat milk soap when using the split method. That's what I do when making goat milk soap. I just fortify my fresh goat milk (Meyenberg fresh/refrigerated in a carton, i.e., not the canned stuff*) with enough powdered goat milk to bring the overall total concentration of goat milk up to 100%. I add the slurry to my oils before adding in my lye solution, oftentimes even warming it along with my oils before adding the lye.

*I used to use Meyenberg canned goat milk back when I first started making goat milk soap, but they always came out dark tan. Not so with the fresh/refrigerated Meyenberg.

IrishLass :)
^^^
I use the split method too but I only use powder to make the milk half of the water into milk then I add enough powder to make the other half up to 100%. So all the powder is in the milk half but when it mixes in it ends up at 100% GM soap.

I insulate and gel and I don’t have a problem with overheating or darkening.

I used to use Meyenberg canned goat milk back when I first started making goat milk soap, but they always came out dark tan. Not so with the fresh/refrigerated Meyenberg.

very good to know thanks

I insulate and gel and I don’t have a problem with overheating or darkening.

do you take temps and if so what temp do you soap at?

Last edited by a moderator:
I made this batch using frozen goat milk mixed with the lye. The batter was poured into individual cavity molds and left in the refrigerator, probably overnight. It’s unscented and no colorants were added. The picture was taken after a few months of curing and I thought it might be useful as a color reference.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/media/goat-milk-soap.2226/full

I made this batch using frozen goat milk mixed with the lye. The batter was poured into individual cavity molds and left in the refrigerator, probably overnight. It’s unscented and no colorants were added. The picture was taken after a few months of curing and I thought it might be useful as a color reference.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/media/goat-milk-soap.2226/full

thank you!! I am impatiently waiting for a loaf to cool down enough to cut--judging from the top it looks good. I did wind up gelling it . this soaping thing has taught me patience well.....kind of. lovely bar of soap :)
well I just cut it and it is kinda orangish--wonder if it will lose the orange tinge--I used fresh with powdered to make 100% and it appears to not have gelled totally. will try to take pic tomorrow

Last edited:
Back