Toss it or save it?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navigator9

Reaction score
OK, here is the batch I posted about with the split personality. Two logs placed in the prewarmed oven, and checked after an hour, starting to gel, checked after about another hour, and full oil slick on both of them! Three Crystal Lite containers filled from the same batch, and placed in a styrofoam container to gel, gelled fully and no oil slick at all. The pic of the log shows two Ph strips that I used to check each log to make sure it's oil and not lye. In this log, a kind of "skin" has formed on top of the oil. The other log has even more oil than this one. And the Crystal Lite soaps are just fine. Go figure! So my question is.....can anything be done with this mess?

oil slick1.jpg

ok.jpg

I would probably let them sit in the mold at least a week. I had one batch do that (CPOP), and by the end of the week, all the oil had reabsorbed and I cut and cured.

I think I will try waiting to see if more oil reabsorbs, but I'm kind of doubting it. If I decide to rebatch, how the heck would I do that with this soupy mess? I've rebatched solid soap before, because it was fugly, but this......oily, sludge......how would I even go about that?

Pour the oil off into your crock. If the soap is firm enough to unmold, just chop it into small pieces. If its still quite soft, use a sturdy spoon to scoop it out of the mold.

And then what? I've never done this before. So I cook it until when.....what should I look for? Until the oil gets sucked back into the glop? :crazy:

If it were me, I would wait a week and see how much absorbs back in (you might be surprised).

If it's still oily after that, do as Obsidian said and heat it on low, covered, stirring every now and again. If it looks like it's drying out and needs extra water, add some via a spray bottle instead of pouring some in, in order that you don't add too much.

Once it looks like a cohesive mass of softened, melty mashed potatoes, glop it into your mold and then wait for it to cool and set up before unmolding.

IrishLass :)

If it were me, I would wait a week and see how much absorbs back in (you might be surprised).

If it's still oily after that, do as Obsidian said and heat it on low, covered, stirring every now and again. If it looks like it's drying out and needs extra water, add some via a spray bottle instead of pouring some in, in order that you don't add too much.

Once it looks like a cohesive mass of softened, melty mashed potatoes, glop it into your mold and then wait for it to cool and set up before unmolding.

IrishLass :)

Thanks so much for that. I hate waste, and if there's any way to save this mess, I'll give it a shot. So wait a bit, and then try cooking it, will do. Keep your fingers crossed! I'll report back on what happens.

Did it re-asorb? That happened to me once and I threw it it the Crockpot. It reached a medium trace in a couple of minutes, so I remolded it at that medium trace instead of waiting for the mashed potato phase. However it does sound like yours may have already gelled so you may have to wait for the mashed potato stage may.

Did it re-asorb? That happened to me once and I threw it it the Crockpot. It reached a medium trace in a couple of minutes, so I remolded it at that medium trace instead of waiting for the mashed potato phase. However it does sound like yours may have already gelled so you may have to wait for the mashed potato stage may.

Some of it reabsorbed, but it was still mushy on top. Actually, there were three different layers, that mushy one on top, a thin, darker one on the bottom, and the rest of it, in the middle, which looked OK. Thankfully, the crock pot brought them all back together. Woo hoo!

Back