Tool suggestion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AF_SOAP

Reaction score
Has anyone come up with a way other than stick blending? I was wanting something a little less hands on. I was thinking like a tumbler with something in the middle to agitate it?

For liquid and cream soap? A stick blender barely gets warm before I'm done working with the paste, so the hands-on time is minimal. Maybe you should re-think your technique maybe?

My thoughts are the same for NaOH soap -- are you over-using your stick blender, maybe? You haven't said anything about your method, but I get the distinct impression you're using a SB'er a lot -- or you're making quite large batches -- if you are casting about for alternative mixing equipment.

I use a stick blender for maybe 5-10 seconds tops to get the soap to emulsion. I might buzz portions for a second or 2 to get colors mixed. The SB is barely warm by the time I'm done. My batch size is 1600 grams (about 4 pounds) of fats.

Making soap is a hands-on type of endeavor as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps less so for the large manufacturer that has huge batch sizes and huger equipment. But to want to make soap without being hands-on seems a bit counter-intuitive to me.

Before hand held mixers (that we call stick blenders), soapers used to hand stir with a wooden stick or some sort of spoon. In fact, many still do.

I suppose you could invest in a paint agitator like they use to mix paints at the paint store, but that hardly seems worth it to me.

Can you explain why you want something less hands-on? Are perhaps making a very slow-tracing soap and want something you can "set and forget"? I think a tumbler sounds fascinating. But if your soap got too thick it would be difficult to get out.

I'm thinking that you could look over some designs on the internet for making butter. Some of those are side-ways with a crank on them to turn the paddles in the middle.

Latest posts

Back