Too thin? or too thick?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudszensoaps

Reaction score
Hi All, My cold process liquid soap won't work with a foaming pump bottle, but seems ok with a regular pump. (It was made with olive oil, sodium lactate was added). What's the deal?

Last edited:
Thank you earlene. I did. I made three different consistencies... really none would work in the foamer. Could it be because it's castille? It turned out really nice, lathers well, cleans well, feels good.

It needs to be water thin to work in a foamer dispenser. Have you got it that thin?

For foamer soap, I use 1 part soap to 3 parts water. That works well for all my different formulas which are 50% CO or PKO plus liquid oils of choice. However, I don't make 100% olive oil LS. The point being, that you may not have added enough dilution water to the OO paste to begin with.

To dilute 100% Olive Oil, first weigh the paste. Then calculate the amount of water needed.
DILUTION RATE: 15-20% soap + 80-85% water.
This results in thin LS with (surprisingly) great lather than can then be thickened with salt.

I've never used sodium lactate in LS, so I'm not sure how that ingredient would affect the above ratio. :smallshrug:

Last edited:
I would never use SL in any soap I intended to use in a foamer bottle. I don't use SL at all. I just don't find it necessary. Nor do I use salt in my liquid soap. You really do need extremely thin soap to work in a foamer.

Back