Too soft soap when demolding

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mayrarossy

Reaction score
:cry: this is my fourth batch and the recipe I used was: 850g olive oil, 158g coconut oil, 119g palm oil, 40 g shea butter, 152g lyle, 393g water. Rosemary and lavender eo. 8% SF and 28%Conc.when demolded is was too soft and sticky. I can cut the soap, but the bad weather can affect the final result?

Welcome Mayrarossy!

One of the reasons your soap may be on the soft side right now is because of how much water you used in relation to the high % of olive oil in your recipe, but not to worry- your soap is more than likely just fine- it will just need more time to harden up.

A 28% lye concentration is pretty much what I consider to be a 'full water' amount. Whenever I make batches that contain a high % of olive oil, I try to stay away from using a full-water amount because it prevents me from being able to unmold and cut as soon as I normally like because things are too soft from the excess water. For my batches with a high amount of olive oil, I like to use a 33% lye concentration.

Another cause of soft soap upon unmolding is ungelled soap. Do you know if your soap gelled or not? If it didn't, don't worry- there is no cause for alarm. All your soap needs is more time to firm up. Time is a soap's best friend.

IrishLass :)

Thank you so much for your response. i think the soap gelled completetly. i going to wait patiently the next 4 to 6 weeks... (By the way, sorry for my english, my first language is spanish.) I learning how to make soap with You tube and intenet tutorials, so i have a lot of questions about it. Thanks this forum could clarify many doubts.

Are you using a silicone or wooden mold? I've noticed that silicone molds sometimes want a bit of extra time.
And I have had some soaps that wanted up to 4 days before unmolding. Theres no harm in waiting :)

Aye, my usual answer to the question "when should I unmould and cut my soap" could be taken as being unhelpful - "when it's ready!" You can certainly have a guideline of when to unmould, but the best thing is to check the soap itself and wait until it is ready.

For one recipe it might be a few days, for another recipe it might well be 1 day or even less!

Latest posts

Back