Too much water in Rebatch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marysuesylw

Reaction score
Hi. I'm very new to soapmaking. I tried to mill a batch of cold-process soap that I made about 4 months ago. I think I added way too much water to the grated soap--1/2C to 8 oz. grated soap. It's been 3 days and the soap still looks like jello in the mold. Can I salvage this?

Are you milling or re-batching? If it's a re-batch I would put it in a crockpot and cook off some of the water. Way to much for that small amount of soap shreds.

Yup, way too much water! I agree with shunt - you need to cook off some of the water. Can you post a picture? What type of container/mold is your soap in currently?

I’ll try to post a picture when I get home. The soap is in a silicone mold that makes “standard “ size rectangular bars. I was trying to take newly made (sort of) soap that was cut in rough hunks and make it into bars. Eventually may start adding medicinal herbs, essential oil.

The only other thought that comes to mind is that when I reheated it, I put it in a sous vide bath at 185°. Perhaps that was too hot?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, that temp is fine. I agree with the others -- you used way too much liquid.

9to%Gf29RpOkmI8j31Xf3A.jpg
Here's the soap. It seems like you can still see grated soap in it, although I'd have sworn it was melted through. The two whiter ones were done separately with MUCH less water, seem ok but still a bit soft.

Efficacious Gentleman, I looked at a ton of websites and the amounts seemed so variable, I don't really remember which one I got it from.

ps Why do I need to change the title of the thread?

Are you milling or re-batching? If it's a re-batch I would put it in a crockpot and cook off some of the water. Way to much for that small amount of soap shreds.
Maybe I don't understand the difference between the terms? I thought rebatching was saving small pieces of soap and using them again, and milling (hand milling, French milling) was taking fresh soap, grating, adding water + whatever else, and molding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cmzaha is right. Milling involves a press. Not sure that it's truly necessary to change the title - we know what you mean - but if you are googling for information, trying searching for rebatching vs milling or remilling.

As far as still seeing grated bits, it's possibly that some of the soap got a bit overcooked and those are the white bits you are seeing. since it's a silicone mold, you could put the whole mold in a glass casserole dish and put that in the oven.

Latest posts

Back