Too much thickening.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drchurchillsoaps

Reaction score
Used a recipe that called for
Distilled water
Shea
Mango
Btms 50
Steric acid
Fragrance and preservative

so I made a test batch last night. Wife prefers it much to the anhydrous body butters I have made. So today I make a larger batch…..
I did a 1/8 recipe first time, so I decide a 1/2 recipe is great for this product for trials and such. Meow here is the issue at hand!
I added the full amount of steric acid and btms 50 when I should have divided said number by 2!!!! Needless to say this batch is a LOT thicker then the creamy test batch. Is there a way to fix this? Recipe says to mix water and other products mixed at 160-169. May I still add water and ingredients to make the batch full? Maybe add some oil lot thin?
Forgot to note preservative and fragrance is not added until 120F

Sounds like a good plan. In my limited experience, it's a lot easier to thin out a lotion than to thicken it. Reheat it all gently, add the missing ingredients (also heated), and blend blend blend. Let us know how it works out!

Last edited:
Limited experience soap with lotions but rather more with difficult sauces; what I would do is heat up the water phase of the missing ingredients then slowly add the heated over-thickened base while mixing vigorously You'll probably need to put in the full quantity of preservative at the end to be safe after reheating(sorry about the punctuation-the bottom row on my keyboard has just gone mad)

So after debating in my head about possible outcomes. I figured that if I heated the preservative over 150 it would be worthless. However not knowing if it would completely evaporate or partiality evaporated leaving a higher concentration of “x”. I was not sure how that was going to effect the mix so I left it as is. The thickness was the enemy so I turned to fast absorbing oils. I used apricot kernel, sweet almond, rose hip, and acia oils. It still leaves a tiny film barrier but does not leave a greasy feel. Wife said it reminds her of lubrederm intense moisture. It’s much nicer having added oils!

Back