Too Much of a Good Thing!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@AliOop I want to head out there to make aebelskiver with you!
and I need @Johnez to come here to help me reupholster the semi-nude club chair I have sitting in my sunroom. I have this wild idea that I will cover it with wool salvaged from men suits, or old denim jeans, or possibly with new fabric that I dye in a shibori pattern. Oh right, I completely forgot about my collection of fabric dyes and all of the potion-like ingredients that go along with those. The dyes are helpful in fabric upcycling because I use them to tone weird colors to a more desirable color palette.

I have a cheese drawer in the fridge... and it is usually full. But know I'm wondering why my blocks of cream cheese are not in the drawer? They have their own organizer container of their own!?!?!:oops: :rolleyes:
This is curious, my cream cheese is not in the cheese drawer either, it’s hanging out with the butter.

@Mobjack Bay time for an SMF food and craft tour: first stop my house for aebleskivers, then over to your place for ice-dying lessons (and so @Johnez can reupholster your chair). Additional stops for cheese sampling with @glendam and @violets2217, craft stops with the other yarn and craft hoarders experts, soap swirling with @KiwiMoose and @Jersey Girl, alternating wall pour at @Zing's place, and finishing up with desserts crafted using various sugars and grades of cocoa butter at @ResolvableOwl's crib. 😁

what the owl does with inulin.
Get serious stomach ache 🤢. Inulin/oligofructose is one of the few (officially edible) substances that my gut really has a low tolerance for. I bought it to test if it's really possible to cook a fructose syrup from it through acid hydrolysis, like it's done with boiling agave juice to agave syrup. Aim: a honey-like sweetener from topinambur or chicory root juice. I just have to patent this and make a fortune with it 🤑. The first topinambur batch is already growing in the garden, I'm just waiting for all of you to visit me to help me harvest them 😂.

Get serious stomach ache 🤢. Inulin/oligofructose is one of the few (officially edible) substances that my gut really has a low tolerance for. I bought it to test if it's really possible to cook a fructose syrup from it through acid hydrolysis, like it's done with boiling agave juice to agave syrup. Aim: a honey-like sweetener from topinambur or chicory root juice. I just have to patent this and make a fortune with it 🤑. The first topinambur batch is already growing in the garden, I'm just waiting for all of you to visit me to help me harvest them 😂.

I'll bring the sofa and we can all watch whatever wizardry you get into. 🤣

*After the harvest of course!

Last edited:
One of my down the rabbit hole adventures after the luxury soap thread was to try to figure out why Tom’s of Maine is adding inulin to its soap, It’s a prebiotic when taken internally, but does that translate to effectiveness in a wash off product? Is prebiotic a health claim? 😂

and Germany is still on my bucket list,,,

I collect things that I love, with very little resistance from my husband unless it's a live critter. Even then I can often wear him down, but no one trusts me alone in pet stores anymore. There's always some sad critter in need of rescue! That's how we got 3 dogs and a guinea pig. I'd like to have a herd of pigs and also a cat but my family says not while we have 3 dogs.

My primary obsession for 10+ years is yarn crafting. I started with crochet, which swiftly lead me to knitting, and I've dabbled with a few types of weaving for a couple years. I have a few spindles and have attempted spinning but wow that's challenging! So my soaping supplies got nothing on my yarn supplies! I've lost track of how many big bins I've got full of skeins, projects done & not done, gifts I need to locate & hand out, etc. I have an inklette loom, a small frame loom, and a small backstrap loom, lots of warp threads, two full sets of interchangeable needles (one wood, one metal), and at least three sets of hooks.

But then the pandemic hit, and I've always meant to improve my sewing! Which I'm doing... so now I have an obsession with natural fibers, slow fashion, and an interest in historical and ethnic clothing. The ethnic is basically b/c of my interest in history and genealogy, and my personal genealogy is... interesting.

Don't get me started on the books I've collected for all these interests. I also have a fascination with psychology and true crime, then classic literature, European & American history, etc, etc, etc... 😂

Oh, and with sewing came a revival of my fondness for cross stitch and a reminder that I've always wanted to learn embroidery. I can never die b/c I have too much to do & learn & learn to do!

Current works in progress: 1 pair knee high socks/stockings, 1 lace shawl, 1 witch hat, 1 embroidered 18th century pocket, 1 mid Victorian era chemise, 1 wool sweater, 1 cotton bath pouf, 1 very large Starry Night cross stitch... I think that's it so far? Meanwhile I still need to make balms to get us through a Michigan winter and I'd like to make more soap for the holidaze and I'd really like to stop buying laundry detergent, but I'm behind on checking my kids' homeschooling work b/c I've had no energy.

I just need a Time Turner. 🤷🏻‍♀️

One of my down the rabbit hole adventures after the luxury soap thread was to try to figure out why Tom’s of Maine is adding inulin to its soap, It’s a prebiotic when taken internally, but does that translate to effectiveness in a wash off product? Is prebiotic a health claim? 😂
“Prebiotic” as in “bug food”? Not sure if soap is the best place for it. Idk, it probably behaves quite in line with what we know from starch/maltodextrin/glucose syrup/sugar, and this doesn't justify its price premium. Since, for fructose, an alkaline environment lowers the onset of caramellisation down to room temperature, it might also have some browning issues reminiscent of honey. My guess is that it's a label appeal item. Nothing wrong, but nothing exciting either.

ETA: Just remembered that concentrated inulin solutions have a unique rheology. They look and feel like oil (and inulin is in fact used in food industry to offset reduced fat content in “light” products). Maybe it does add some unique slip properties to soap? Dunno; and now that I've used up my inulin, my lead to testing it is just as long as for everyone else.

and Germany is still on my bucket list,,,
1635069041397.png
(but PLEASE consult someone with an actual sense of taste, for choosing better beer brands)

I collect things that I love, with very little resistance from my husband unless it's a live critter. Even then I can often wear him down, but no one trusts me alone in pet stores anymore. There's always some sad critter in need of rescue! That's how we got 3 dogs and a guinea pig. I'd like to have a herd of pigs and also a cat but my family says not while we have 3 dogs.

My primary obsession for 10+ years is yarn crafting. I started with crochet, which swiftly lead me to knitting, and I've dabbled with a few types of weaving for a couple years. I have a few spindles and have attempted spinning but wow that's challenging! So my soaping supplies got nothing on my yarn supplies! I've lost track of how many big bins I've got full of skeins, projects done & not done, gifts I need to locate & hand out, etc. I have an inklette loom, a small frame loom, and a small backstrap loom, lots of warp threads, two full sets of interchangeable needles (one wood, one metal), and at least three sets of hooks.

But then the pandemic hit, and I've always meant to improve my sewing! Which I'm doing... so now I have an obsession with natural fibers, slow fashion, and an interest in historical and ethnic clothing. The ethnic is basically b/c of my interest in history and genealogy, and my personal genealogy is... interesting.

Don't get me started on the books I've collected for all these interests. I also have a fascination with psychology and true crime, then classic literature, European & American history, etc, etc, etc... 😂

Oh, and with sewing came a revival of my fondness for cross stitch and a reminder that I've always wanted to learn embroidery. I can never die b/c I have too much to do & learn & learn to do!

Current works in progress: 1 pair knee high socks/stockings, 1 lace shawl, 1 witch hat, 1 embroidered 18th century pocket, 1 mid Victorian era chemise, 1 wool sweater, 1 cotton bath pouf, 1 very large Starry Night cross stitch... I think that's it so far? Meanwhile I still need to make balms to get us through a Michigan winter and I'd like to make more soap for the holidaze and I'd really like to stop buying laundry detergent, but I'm behind on checking my kids' homeschooling work b/c I've had no energy.

I just need a Time Turner. 🤷🏻‍♀️
I totally forgot about all my looms! I can’t even list all my WIPs. They are every where.

Muahaha! Looms for everyone! This is why backstrap weaving is amazing. All the components can be packed into one of those mailing tubes when not in use!
OMG, Pinterest has failed me! I have various rigid heddle, lap and [even] potholder loom pins, but not a single pin for a backstrap loom. 🤣

@Mobjack Bay time for an SMF food and craft tour: first stop my house for aebleskivers, then over to your place for ice-dying lessons (and so @Johnez can reupholster your chair). Additional stops for cheese sampling with @glendam and @violets2217, craft stops with the other yarn and craft hoarders experts, soap swirling with @KiwiMoose and @Jersey Girl, alternating wall pour at @Zing's place, and finishing up with desserts crafted using various sugars and grades of cocoa butter at @ResolvableOwl's crib. 😁
AEBLESKIVERS??!! @AliOop , you just get more and more awesome! I loves me some good aebleskivers. I'll eat plenty o' aebleskivers -- and I can offer some lefse and krumkaka as well. Speaking of hoarding, please take and eat plenty of Mrs. Zing's (bless her heart and don't tell her I said this) pickles, jams and jellies, canned fruits and veggies. What's that new acronym - sable? I'm not usually over in this part of the forum but it is brightening my day!

What a fun thread!
It seems each craft comes with a need for different tools. So I justified purchasing a small table saw because I NEEDED to make a box to display my soaps.
So I've been sewing since I was a teenager and have tons of sewing tools, as well as a whole cabinet and cedar chest full of fabric, patterns, thread, sewing notions, etc.
I started crocheting in earnest a couple of years ago. I have a hard time resisting a sale on yarn. Now every bed in the house has boxes of yarn stashed under it. I have a big stack of patterns that look fun.
I've cross stitched off and on for a number of years. Have lots of thread, that I just recently organized during the lockdown - so proud of myself on that one. Have a number of cross stitch patterns and a pretty good supply of 14 count fabric. More ideas of stuff I want to make than time, of course.
And of course lots of soaping stuff - the refrigerator in the garage has mostly oils and fragrances; along with completed items like salves and balms. On top of the fabric cabinet I have bins that hold empty containers for the balms.
Been thinking about picking up macrame again. Did a lot of that in the 70s. Been seeing a lot of beautiful macrame creations on instagram. But where to put the tools and cord, hmmm, maybe under the sofa?
And then of course most of the garage seems to house beekeeping stuff, along with camping stuff, 2 dog crates, 2 cat beds, dog food, cat food, chicken food, a seed starting setup, some tools, painting supplies, paint, and some "I'm not sure where to put this, but I'm not ready to get rid of it" stuff.
But crafts bring me joy, so I'm not ready to part with any of my stash yet and half the fun for me is in the dreaming about what I am going to create. The other half is the creation itself. It is the idea of making something that will bring me joy or someone else joy that tickles my fancy. And so I buy stuff to make it and one day I will, I think. Or my daughter's inheritance will be cabinets of fabric, yarn, cross stitch supplies, and soaping supplies AND don't forget about the table saw. My son gets the other power tools.

Whoops, forgot about the candle making stuff - have 4 large baskets with wax, wicks, fragrances, melting pots, and molds. I have 12 boxes of empty jars for soy wax candles. I also use some of these jars for bath salts.

Last edited:
Currently discussed in @Zing's DOS/storage thread: Silica gel.
Silica gel packs always have exerted some kind of magic attraction on me. I've been collecting them since childhood. I've peeled the pearls out of the lids of vitamin pill tubes. People have given me silica gel packs as birthday presents, and I was (unironically) happy about it. At work, I salvaged some 60 bags from a batch of incoming new devices from the waste bin. I've recorded before/after weight loss by baking in the oven, or microwave drying. I've sorted the sachets by colour, size, type of wrapping. I've cut them open and mixed the pearls. Sorted them by colour of the humidity indicator, you know the game. At peak times, I guess it was 10 kg at least.

One sad day I realised that they are factually of no use for me, at least not in this quantity, and I threw away most of my “collection”. I still have about a pound of the pearls at hand. Currently I'm using part of it to dry up cocoa powder (for chocolate making – I've found that it makes the powder much easier to sift, and the chocolate to be smoother as a melt and in the mouth).

(I could attach a photo, but I'll at least try to stick to my own rule and don't. It'd be unimpressive, just some brown powder next to a bath of glassy pearls.)

I am overwhelmed by my supplies for: Soap, Candles, Sewing, Felted wool made from sweaters bought at the thrift store and boiled in order to repurpose for other crafts, Polymer clay and tools and bead rollers, Cookware and gadgets, and Gardening paraphernalia.

I used to have a HUGE collection of rosebushes, both modern and historic. Many of them I purchased, but then I learned how to root roses from cuttings and my collection really proliferated after that. I was also hybridizing roses and had way too many seedlings. Unfortunately groundhogs and rabbits started breeding in our side yard and, along with transient deer, they put our garden on their dinner list. Together they made a concerted effort and managed to wipe out most of the roses. 😢

I have glass and colored glass and dichroic glass and all sorts of supplies for fusible glass and jewelry. Luckily it is small art, primarily dichroic glass pendants, so it takes up less space than larger fused glass projects. Still, those supplies take up most of a room in the basement.

🎶 Then there is the collection of vintage Autoharps and the supplies to restore and customize them. I have Autoharps from 1882 through the 1980s that are stored under beds in two bedrooms, in the office, and down in the basement. I have boxes of laminated abalone shell and mother of pearl, felt for chord bars, lacquer, springs, screws, strings of multiple guages, magnetic pick ups, an assortment of tools, and other items required for chord bar setups. 🎶💕🎶

All this stuff needs to be decluttered and organized. Would somebody PLEASE come to my house and help me? I’m desperate!!! (Maybe I could do it myself if I spend less time on SMF?)

Latest posts

Back