Too Much of a Good Thing!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ResolvableOwl

Notorious Lyear
Reaction score
Too much of a good thing can be wonderful. – Mae West

The art of living is not least the ability to do without something necessary in order to afford something superfluous. – Vittorio de Sica

How many things are there which I do not want. – Socrates

Let's confess hoarding compulsions! Weaknesses, devotions and experiments that have grown over the time to a (more or less harmless) heap that is no longer rationally justifiable. But in the spirit of @CreativeWeirdo's (marvellous user name, btw!) Needing some validation thread, let's treat our secret inner magpies with a bit of public affirmation.

The rules: Post a class of items, of which you possess a quantity “that depends on perspective” if you should have a bad conscience about it or not. One at a time, to make it easier for others to react on specific posts/topics/fields.
No pics.
Keep it awkward. Brag with your FO, mica, or shoe collection only if it's really, really bad.
Self-made soaps do NOT count. Fruit flies do NOT count.
It's okay to include former stock that you don't longer have around. We don't want to encourage pathological messie troubles, but support those who haven't lost hope (yet) and are sincerely trying hard to destash, to keep inflow and outflow of goods halfways on eyesight to each other. Having had some thingie (and knowing what it's been good for, and where to get replacement) is close enough to having it currently to qualify. But keep in proportion. Eleven varieties of coffee, of which one has run out last week – that's the stuff I'm after. But not so much when you “just” have had eleven types of coffee in your whole life (though impressive enough that you have been counting them!).

I'm happy to start, to set a bad example. 🤭🤪

Sugars

Simple sugars: glucose, fructose
Simple sugar alcohols: glycerol, erythritol, xylitol, sorbitol, mannitol
Disaccharides: refined sucrose (beet and cane), cane sugar in all states of refinement between molasses and fully refined, isomaltulose, lactose
Disaccharide alcohols: maltitol, isomalt
Oligosaccharides: inulin, maltodextrin, maltose/malt extract/glucose syrup (from barley, rice, corn)
Starch: corn, wheat, potato, tapioca, arrowroot, rice, mung bean
Malt: barley (some 8 varieties in various toasting states), wheat, rye

I've included the last two lines of starch sources as an excuse to also mention koji, kiuniang, α-, β-, and gluco-amylase (as well as saliva) to saccharify the starch into maltose & friends – but I'll exclude ordinary starchy crops, for that this list has an end at all.

Fruit flies do NOT count.
😂 😂 😂
I can easily add to this, but I'll start at the beginning. Yarn. Before I became an obsessive soap maker, I was an obsessive knitter. Specifically wool socks, but also hats and blankets. I had quite the yarn stash. I have had to stop knitting, but it has taken years to part with the most of the yarn. I still have all of my needles.

How about crafts and the tools that.go with them? I have taken up so many different crafts over the years! Painting, embroidery, jewelry making, heading, hand quilting, polymer clay, toy repair, scrap booking, soaping... I have brushes, needles of all sizes, pliers and cutters, prying tools, specialized scissors, hammers, rollers, small containees, big containees, scale, thimbles, slicers, reamer, molds, spatulas.....

I am also a collector of crafts. Copious amounts of yarn, about 100 sets of knitting needles and a couple dozen crochet hooks (this is the only craft besides soap making that I participate in regularly). Polymer clay, dozens of colors, many cutting and molding tools, fixtures and fastenings. Jewelry making, various gauges of wire, different beading strings, needles, pliers, fastenings, saws, scrap metal, beads, stones (my favorites are lapis, opal, and jade). Embroidery, tons of thread, backing, an embroidery machine that I tried to use once and couldn't get the hang of so it's been sitting for 10+ years. I finally got rid of the stuff for ribbon embroidery. Silhouette cutter, various materials, mostly vinyl...don't use this much either. Drawing supplies, various other art supplies, canvas, different papers for different media, watercolor, acrylic, pastel, way too many sharpies. Glitter...so...much...glitter. Various glues. Other odds and ends like clear ornaments or saved jars, etc. A fabric collection that my mom passed on to me when she passed away (although I have given a lot of this away). Much of these supplies were passed to me from her because 1. she was an artist and 2. she had the same sort of craft hoarding tendencies as myself as well as a pretty severe shopping problem. I have trouble getting rid of anything I associate with her...which I've been working on because I really don't see myself taking to jewelry making or the like.

I am forever finding fabulous fabric for (re)fashioning. Some might call it hoarding, but who can stop themselves when a deep dive at the thrift store reveals a full length silk satin circle skirt in a wild artsy print on sale for $1.99? An occasional trip to the fabric district in NY and LA, or the closeout section of Home Goods, rounds out the selection of fabrics I would never find at the local JoAnn’s. My stash is neatly organized in labelled storage totes. Some of the categories that come to mind without a visual refresher are: cotton - lightweight, mid weight, heavy weight; cotton knits; linen woven and knits; lining fabric; rayon: silk and silk blends, including a tote just for men’s ties, which make great bias binding; upholstery remnants; wool woven - mid weight, coat weight; wool knits - mostly sweaters and a surprising amount of cashmere that has been through someone else‘s washing machine. I also save button and embellishments. I’ve made everything from jackets, kimonos and tops to hats, purses and stuffed animals. I have an old Bernina workhorse sewing machine that I received as a present over 40 years ago, and relatively new serger and coverstich machines. I also have a very nice assortment of thread, every sewing notion imaginable, pressing hams, a dress form that’s shaped like I was before pandemic chocolate, etc.

When I need a break from making soap, I sew instead. Although I can still justify keeping my stash, I can no longer justify keeping it in the house. It was competing for space with my soapy stuff, so now it resides in the garage.

Last edited:
I’m with @dibbles and @Megan … I’m at S.A.B.L.E. Levels of yarn (stash acquired beyond life expectancy) and I’m not at all sorry. My husband has knives and guns and sporting goods way beyond my levels of yarn and craft supplies ownership.

I have a current obsession with book binding / making and own several types of paper book punches. I’m often at thrift stores and buy supplies. Last week it was 10 paper card stock pads for $3 each!! Embroidery floss, hoops, fabric, beads, paints, buttons, screen-printing supplies, cross-stitch kits. I bought two hand-crank knitting machines last month which warranted more yarn!! I may or may not have some more luxury super chunky merino on the way.

I also rescue hand knits from the thrift stores I can’t bear to leave behind. This one I got for $3 also!! And beyond Pinterest, I’ve got hundreds of screenshots of crafty things I want to make. This list can go on…

Attachments

• 778FFD11-3B83-4BA6-BB8A-22FD59ED973C.jpeg
    778FFD11-3B83-4BA6-BB8A-22FD59ED973C.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 38
Can our obsession/collections be hobbies and unfinished projects!?!?!? I have a lot of those! Lots of fabric and vintage linens and pillow case. Tools for all the hobbies I've learned. One of my recent collections include power tools. I'm playing at woodworker!
But I can admit that I collect dishes, great vintage thrift store finds. Odds and ends that I think I need and I consider pretty. None of my daily use dishes match and everyone in my house has their favorite dish or bowl, but I love them all. I've found that we can't use a lot of our dishes in the microwave because I'm drawn to shinny silver embellishments on dishes! My BFF once had a large New Year's Eve dinner party. I think we had 10 to 15 couples. I was able to go through my cabinets and storage and provide whole place setting for each guest. It was kinda embarrassing, but the table looked so eclectic and awesome! I've managed to buy on two full sets of dishes. One a pale pink set of vintage melamine dishes and and 8 place setting 1950's Taylor, Smith and Taylor Teal china set for $25.

I guess I collect cheese, I eat it almost daily.
Currently I have:
1 classic parmesan wedge
2 mozzarella blocks
1 fresh mozzarella ball
a package of babybel cheese
1 wedge of Gorgonzola cheese
1 disc of panela cheese
1 package of havarti cheese with dill (husband’s choice)
1 pack of american cheese (this is for dog’s pills)
1 pack of soft feta
1 jar of cheese powder
there might still be a pack of sliced cheddar but I am not sure

I can honestly say I have never met a cheese I did not like. I even like goat cheese.

Edited to add two more I just saw in the fridge:
- the Philadelphia cream cheese I have been snacking with.
- And a jar of ricotta cheese I haven’t opened yet but once I do I need to finish in a week, per label instructions.

Last edited:
Kitchen gadgets!! I use most of them a lot, although some do languish.

Two KitchenAids (including every attachment ever made, and the ice cream maker set)
Breville 13-cup food processor (with every attachment ever made)
Expensive mandoline that I never use (because the Breville attachments rock) - still love the cut gloves for box grating
Vitamix (with wet and dry blades, and three sizes of containers)
Nut milk maker (fantastic machine that I'd buy again in a heartbeat)
Two Instant Pots (the new air-fryer model is on my Christmas wish list, in which case I'll pass along the oldest one)
High end stove-top pressure cooker (bought before Instant Pots were a thing)
Hand-held blender, more stickblenders and frothers than I'm willing to count (some in the soaping room)
Sous-vide machine
Electric knife, knife sharpener, too many knives (had more until the movers stole a box with about half my knife collection)
Pampered chef mini-scrapers, spatulas, storage cups, slap-chop
Two complete sets of stainless steel cooking pots (don't ask)
Six different muffin pans (don't ask)
A goodly collection of cast iron cooking/baking implements (including a prized aebelskiver pan)
Turkey roaster pan (although that's now a soaping item)
Hand-crank pasta maker
Canning implements
Top-of-the-line the coffee grinder, two automatic coffee makers, three French presses (small, medium, large)
Cake decorating tools, every size of glass bakeware, many sizes of Silpat mats and baking pans, food storage containers of every shape and size.
Large electric griddle, panini maker, waffle maker

I know I'm missing stuff but I'm too embarrassed to go into the kitchen and look.

Edited: sushi rolling kit, barbecue cooking pans (the fish one is my favorite!), barbecue salt blocks, dedicated bacon pans for cooking bacon in the oven, three sets of salt and pepper grinders (don't ask). Two spiralizers (won one of them in a contest!), spice grinder, two capsule makers (saves so much to make your own turmeric capsules). Oops, forgot, three crockpots (mini one is in the soaping room). Ooooh... jerky gun, dehydrator, fermenting airlocks, kombucha set up.

Which reminds me of my huge salt collection, and a pretty expansive spice collection, too.

Last edited:
I will admit to hoarding aquarium stuff. In my last move I had to get rid of 2 tanks as I didn't have the room to pack them in my van, however many pumps, hoses, PVC parts, an entire water treatment setup that I have not even opened up yet, and various other supplies did make the move but are now sitting in totes. I have a giant piece of driftwood that I will either have to completely treat with bleach and let dry in the sun or throw away, such a shame that. The DIY streak in me runs deep, I've even got old tools for furniture frame building I haven't used regularly in about a decade now, maybe one day I'll build cool sofas again.

A pic of my previous work:

Attachments

• img_1_1634892188318.jpg
    img_1_1634892188318.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 36
Currently I have:
1 classic parmesan wedge
2 mozzarella blocks
1 fresh mozzarella ball
1 disc of panela cheese
1 pack of soft feta
1 jar of cheese powder

I can honestly say I have never met a cheese I did not like. I even like goat cheese.
My husband complained that I had too much cheese in the fridge. I will show him this list. (He complains that he doesn't eat cheese, but he ate some beautiful white sauce pizza with prosciutto and basil yesterday that seems to disprove this statement.)

I will admit to hoarding aquarium stuff. In my last move I had to get rid of 2 tanks as I didn't have the room to pack them in my van, however many pumps, hoses, PVC parts, an entire water treatment setup that I have not even opened up yet, and various other supplies did make the move but are now sitting in totes. I have a giant piece of driftwood that I will either have to completely treat with bleach and let dry in the sun or throw away, such a shame that. The DIY streak in me runs deep, I've even got old tools for furniture frame building I haven't used regularly in about a decade now, maybe one day I'll build cool sofas again.

A pic of my previous work:
That couch is awesome! Reminds me of Nickelodeon.

Too much of a good thing can be wonderful. – Mae West

The art of living is not least the ability to do without something necessary in order to afford something superfluous. – Vittorio de Sica

How many things are there which I do not want. – Socrates

Let's confess hoarding compulsions! Weaknesses, devotions and experiments that have grown over the time to a (more or less harmless) heap that is no longer rationally justifiable. But in the spirit of @CreativeWeirdo's (marvellous user name, btw!) Needing some validation thread, let's treat our secret inner magpies with a bit of public affirmation.

The rules: Post a class of items, of which you possess a quantity “that depends on perspective” if you should have a bad conscience about it or not. One at a time, to make it easier for others to react on specific posts/topics/fields.
No pics.
Keep it awkward. Brag with your FO, mica, or shoe collection only if it's really, really bad.
Self-made soaps do NOT count. Fruit flies do NOT count.
It's okay to include former stock that you don't longer have around. We don't want to encourage pathological messie troubles, but support those who haven't lost hope (yet) and are sincerely trying hard to destash, to keep inflow and outflow of goods halfways on eyesight to each other. Having had some thingie (and knowing what it's been good for, and where to get replacement) is close enough to having it currently to qualify. But keep in proportion. Eleven varieties of coffee, of which one has run out last week – that's the stuff I'm after. But not so much when you “just” have had eleven types of coffee in your whole life (though impressive enough that you have been counting them!).

I'm happy to start, to set a bad example. 🤭🤪

Sugars

Simple sugars: glucose, fructose
Simple sugar alcohols: glycerol, erythritol, xylitol, sorbitol, mannitol
Disaccharides: refined sucrose (beet and cane), cane sugar in all states of refinement between molasses and fully refined, isomaltulose, lactose
Disaccharide alcohols: maltitol, isomalt
Oligosaccharides: inulin, maltodextrin, maltose/malt extract/glucose syrup (from barley, rice, corn)
Starch: corn, wheat, potato, tapioca, arrowroot, rice, mung bean
Malt: barley (some 8 varieties in various toasting states), wheat, rye

I've included the last two lines of starch sources as an excuse to also mention koji, kiuniang, α-, β-, and gluco-amylase (as well as saliva) to saccharify the starch into maltose & friends – but I'll exclude ordinary starchy crops, for that this list has an end at all.
How sweet it is...

Ok "self realization" Im quite boring, nothing to report that I have excess of... ugh the pains of reality! somethings gotta change
. :videovisit:

update: Oh I do have a collection of 20's - 70's costume jewlery. Ive picked up at "Fun Stores" I call them, which are 2nd hand thrift stores throughout the years. WhooHooo Im not so boring' Yay 🤩.

Last edited:
Well, now I feel bad, because I am a purger, and have nothing to excess.
Don't feel badly! We have moved a LOT, and I purge every time... everything but the kitchen gadgets. 😁

To be honest, I don't really consider them "excess" since I use almost all of them frequently, some more seasonally. Despite the long list, my kitchen is very uncluttered, as is the rest of my home. But the bottom line is whether your level of accumulation suits you. If it does, then it's all good!

Currently I have:
1 classic parmesan wedge
2 mozzarella blocks
1 fresh mozzarella ball
1 disc of panela cheese
1 pack of soft feta
1 jar of cheese powder

Edited to add two more I just saw in the fridge:
- the Philadelphia cream cheese I have been snacking with.
- And a jar of ricotta cheese I haven’t opened yet but once I do I need to finish in a week, per label instructions.
I have a cheese drawer in the fridge... and it is usually full. But know I'm wondering why my blocks of cream cheese are not in the drawer? They have their own organizer container of their own!?!?!:oops: :rolleyes:

Back