Too much Mica?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frenchy-C

Reaction score
Hello fellow soapers,

So these bars started crumbling at the edges where the Micas are more saturated.
B831AB4A-2A31-4DC3-884E-CF72411877F4.jpeg

It is not Lye heavy.
There was a bit of Soda Ash, but this is different.
Anyone had this happen before.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to post your recipe and the measurements of the micas you used. It would make troubleshooting a little easier. Judging from the pic, the soap probably over heated a bit but I think a better experience soaper can confirm that. I am still learning micas.

Yep, I've had that happen. When I first started using micas I got a little over enthusiastic with them because they are sooo pretty! Where the mica was too dense in my swirls it would get crumbly. It took me a while to find the right balance for vivid swirls without the oversaturation of mica.

Yep, I've had that happen. When I first started using micas I got a little over enthusiastic with them because they are sooo pretty! Where the mica was too dense in my swirls it would get crumbly. It took me a while to find the right balance for vivid swirls without the oversaturation of mica.
Thank you.
Lesson learned.

It looks like stearic mottiling to me. What were your temps and what hard oils do you use? Usually I get it when I soap too cool for my recipe, or when I under blend. Your colors do not look that saturated that I would think there is too much mica in there. One thing you will notice if you use too much mica is that your lather will take on color.

Latest posts

Back