Too much Lemongrass essential oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapylondon

Reaction score
Hi, I am indecisive about this simple soap I made. The formula contains coconut oil, castor, olive and tallow and I added lemongrass essential oil. And yes, I added a lot because I wanted the scent to be strong after cure.

I noticed the soap was still a bit soft after 6 weeks, I thought the excess essential oil was to blame as soaped at 38% water. I left it for 3 more weeks and tried it in the shower. I Did the ph test , it seems fine at around 9
The soap felt a bit more drying than usual and less of a creamy lather, tested it and it tasted a bit salty but no zap.
Not sure, Do you think I ruined it because I added too much Lemongrass essential oil?
The formula has approximately 44 ounces of oils and I added 40 ml of lemongrass essential oil an possibly a bit more for luck.
Thanks a lot

Lemongrass essential oil is a strong product. I use it at less that 1/2 oz per pound and even that can be strong. It really doesn't seem to fade and that is one of the reasons it is used as a scent anchor in soap. Lemongrass is also what I would call a cleansing oil. By that I mean that it adds cleansing properties to the bars that wouldn't be there otherwise. That, of course, can lead to a bar that feels more drying that normal.

If you have used too much castor that will impede lather. A little dab will do you with this one as well.

I agree about the Lemongrass, it holds up really well. It's one of those things you learn as you go, but it will always smell amazing for you!

Latest posts

Back