Too much essential oils added - top came off! Can I rebatch and how?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaxon

Reaction score
Please could you help.. I typed up a soap recipe which included lavender, orange and patchouli essential oils and therefore added too much! Like stupidly too much.
e.g 0.4 oz orange (i added 4oz),, 0.4 oz patchouli ( i added 4oz), 0.8 oz (i added 8 oz). I am very new to this, please be kind.
Should I just throw it, I have kept it for 4 weeks or more curing. The house smells lovely Ha ha. But what do you suggest, re-batch, mixing it with a unscented recipe of a basic soap?
I would appreciate any help you can give. Many thanks in advance.. I will learn the hard way, and I will learn from my mistakes.
I am doing lots of reading up and I could find a solution to this. X

C85E5DF2-4336-41B3-87CD-5455CBF133A0.jpeg

this is what the oils are. X
This is the correct recipe. Well I hope it is. X

You have so much excess EO in that recipe. It's going to take a lot of unscented soap to dilute the dose down to a reasonable amount. I'm surprised it even set up, to be honest.

1 part shreds to 9 parts unscented is the proportion you'd want to use to dilute scent dosage back to the original recipe amounts. You're going to commit somewhere around 20 pounds of new fats to make enough unscented soap. Are you sure you like this recipe that much?

A tip for all beginners -- make small batches! The OP's recipe calls for just over 37 ounces of fats -- that is a LOT of soap to make if you don't know you'll like it or if you are a beginner or otherwise unsure of your soap making skills.

A nice size for learning and testing is 16 ounces or 500 grams of fats. That's roughly 4 full sized bars -- enough soap to enjoy and share but not so much that it is a hardship if the batch fails or you really don't like it.

Like DeeAnna I’m really surprised that 16oz of EO mixed into 37 oz of oils.
If it has made Soap I’d use it to scent the house for a while and see how it goes.
EOs fade in soap quite quickly.

You have so much excess EO in that recipe. It's going to take a lot of unscented soap to dilute the dose down to a reasonable amount. I'm surprised it even set up, to be honest.

1 part shreds to 9 parts unscented is the proportion you'd want to use to dilute scent dosage back to the original recipe amounts. You're going to commit somewhere around 20 pounds of new fats to make enough unscented soap. Are you sure you like this recipe that much?

A tip for all beginners -- make small batches! The OP's recipe calls for just over 37 ounces of fats -- that is a LOT of soap to make if you don't know you'll like it or if you are a beginner or otherwise unsure of your soap making skills.

A nice size for learning and testing is 16 ounces or 500 grams of fats. That's roughly 4 full sized bars -- enough soap to enjoy and share but not so much that it is a hardship if the batch fails or you really don't like it.
I have thrown it. I will just do it again sometime. The house did smell nice though for sometime. Although it has kept its shape it’s very soft really. Thanks again. X

Like DeeAnna I’m really surprised that 16oz of EO mixed into 37 oz of oils.
If it has made Soap I’d use it to scent the house for a while and see how it goes.
EOs fade in soap quite quickly.
It’s in the bin. Your right the more I thought about it it just won’t work. At least by making these mistakes you learn. Thanks. X

Back