Too much Castor Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mumsydoodles

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new here. I made soap years ago and just started again around this time last year. Tonight, I did something Ive never done before. I used up a a partial bottle of olive oil and opened a new one to finish the amount. Later when I was cleaning up, I realized, I'd opened a new bottle of Castor Oil (the bottles are identical). So my soap is somewhere between 30-40% Castor oil.. Yikes! I'm wondering if I can rebatch it? Maybe make another batch with mostly hard oils and rebatch them together? Thoughts?

I would make a new batch and cook them together, using lard or palm would be a good choice. Try to get your total castor down to 10%, that should make a nice soap.

It is high but I use 20% in my shampoo bar. Maybe try it? I try to avoid rebatch so I am sure I am being too optimistic.

What was the rest of your formula like? I go as high as 23% on the castor in a mostly tallow soap and it makes for a lovely bar.

IrishLass :)

Back