Too little lye and water

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4cats1dog

Reaction score
I have a question. Let me start by saying I do not have a crockpot to hot process the soap. I hate to waste so much beautiful oils.
Yesterday I made a 3 lb batch of soap dough. I divided it into 5 colors. Problem is I had the recipe in a sheet protector with the 2 lb batch on one side and the 3 lb batch recipe on the other side. I measured the oils for a 3lb batch and then measured the water and lye for a 2 lb batch and didn't realize until today why they didn't fully set up. What can I do without a crockpot? I know exactly how much lye and water I am short.

The soap is like warm fudge right now

Last edited:
If you have a good stainless steel pot you could do it on the stove. Be very sure that it is stainless steel though. Very.Sure. [sorry I can't stress that enough]. Although for soap dough I don't think this would help if you still want it to be soap dough. If you're wanting to save the soap so it doesn't go to waste, and realize you won't be able to use as originally intended, then you could rebatch it over low heat on the stove - I think there are a few members who do it that way rather than a crockpot who will give exact advice.

If you have a good stainless steel pot you could do it on the stove. Be very sure that it is stainless steel though. Very.Sure. [sorry I can't stress that enough]. Although for soap dough I don't think this would help if you still want it to be soap dough. If you're wanting to save the soap so it doesn't go to waste, and realize you won't be able to use as originally intended, then you could rebatch it over low heat on the stove - I think there are a few members who do it that way rather than a crockpot who will give exact advice.
Yes I am positive I have a 6 quart stainless pot. I know that I will not have soap dough anymore, but I do not want to waste the oils. Also I have lots of fragrances to use for a brown soap that I know I am going to end up with. I am just not sure how to add the extra lye water and when. I am missing 131 grams of water and 43.82 grams of lye.

Back