Too late to unmold from PVC pipe? Won't come out! (SOLVED)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I've got a batch of Karen Miller's Favorite Lard with Coconutand OO. It's lard 53% OO 24% coconut 24%. It traced really nicely and I was surprised how warm the mold got after pour, like 100+ degrees even several hours after pour, in the mold and surrounded by blankets. I'm sure it got a pretty good saponification reaction.

Now almost 24 hours later the exposed end still seems a bit soft and I'm worried that my log will subside if I unmold it now. BTW I'm using a 3" diameter 24" long PVC pipe, intending to make round bars.

How long is typical for time from pouring to unmolding? Should I figure it's probably not that soft, or should I wait longer? And if so, how much longer?

I'd rather get the stuff out and cut and on a drying shelf. SoapCalc indicates a hardness of 44 so I expect this soap should eventually be fairly hard.

When should I unmold?

BTW I added 0.8 fl. oz. ppo NOW lemongrass EO as scent and 4 teaspoons ppo annatto powder as colorant. Mixing temp was 120 lye 110 oil.

Sorry, can't help, I have never soaped with lard. Maybe if you give it 3 hrs and then check and if it's still not ready, another 3hrs, etc.

Or you could pop that sucker out and cut your losses if you have to. Alot of it is trial & error. I know how hard it is to wait. Your scent sounds wonderful. I use annatto oil and really like the look of it.

Can't wait to see the pics.

Laurie

Have you tried putting it in the freezer? Thats supposed to slightly shrink the soap and make it come out easier.

I've changed the thread title...

I tried to remove the log from the mold (3" diameter 24" long PVC pipe) and it won't unmold. I dropped a 2-1/2" diameter bottle cap down the pipe and pushed on it with a broom handle and all that happened is that I punctured the bottle cap.

I may have invented soap permanently encased in PVC. It sure should last a long time, but I doubt I'll get much lather. :(

Any ideas how to get that out?

Actually the soap is worth more than the pipe so worse comes to worse I think I can tablesaw that pipe down the side (twice) and get my soap out.

Well, I'm glad at least my first batch was a success! :)

By the way, I did use a vegetable spray as a release agent before I poured the soap batter into the mold.

I use ABS pipe for round logs (like PVC, only it's the black stuff). Chose it partly because I already had scrap lengths on hand, and partly because it's thicker and I thought it would provide a bit more insulation. Compared to PVC, it's really slick and shiny inside. That said, I have come to the conclusion that it's faster and easier to line it with freezer paper than it is to coax a long log of soap out!

When I had soap stuck in the pipe, I waited 24 hours to make sure it had time to set, then put it in the freezer for several hours. Then I took a hairdryer briefly to the pipe to soften the soap just a bit so it would slip. Then holding the pipe horizontally, I dropped it on a hard surface several times, making sure to turn it each time. Then used a jar lid to push it out like you described -- still very difficult, but I did eventually get 'er done. Wasn't the prettiest soap on earth because it dragged coming out of the pipe.

I also have several 1-1/2" rings of pipe for pouring individual salt soaps with a swirl on top. Soap pops right out without any kind of lining, I suspect partly because of the salt and partly because there's so much less contact area between soap and pipe.

Thanks gang! Happy, that's the same stuff I've got, black and a shiny inside. Must be ABS instead of PVC, my bad. :)

Combining your advice and La O's advice I'll put it in the freezer and maybe try a hair dryer.

I'll let ya know if it comes out okay. As I said, worst to worst, I guess I'll set the table saw at the thickness of the pipe wall and get my $20 worth of soap out of my $3 pipe. :)

Happyday is right on. I had that happen to me also. Put it in the freezer and then I used hot water over the pipe and dropped it horizontal on the ground.
I used petroleum jelly on the next batch and it slides right out.

Sonja

When using PVC for a mold, I use OO on the inside. After 24 hrs I put it in the freezer for a couple of hours then set it out for about 10-15 minutes. It slides right out.
Let us know if you were able to unmold it.

Tried it. And failed. No soap. :(

$20 of soap in a $3 pipe and it will cost me $25 to get a fine toothed carbide blade for my table saw. :(

LOL! This is sure another fine mess I've gotten myself into. Well my wood working expert buddy says he can loan me the necessary blade next week.

Next time I'm gonna try the freezer paper. That looks like it should work. Or petroleum jelly.

I'm sure you all understand that this is just my second batch so you know why I'm so eager to try it out.

I'm still convinced that a 3" pipe will be a good mold, producing a good form factor of soap, professional looking.

also you can try taking a can like a soup can that just fits inside place the pvc pipe bottom on top of the can and push down. Thats how I got mine out.

Sonja

Martin said:
also you can try taking a can like a soup can that just fits inside place the pvc pipe bottom on top of the can and push down. Thats how I got mine out.
Oh Sonja I love you!!! Please, let's keep this between you and I and don't tell your husband! 8)

I had stretched my brain thinking of all kinds of household objects that could serve as a ram, and came up with nothing. Your idea is perfect! I can stack the pipe with soup cans leaving just one projecting and push down on the whole mess.

Probably ruin another $8-$10 of soup. ;) ;) ;)

I'll try that tomorrow. The dreaded pipe genie is holding my batch #2 for ransom!

(Otherwise my wood guru is coming over Tuesday with an appropriate tablesaw blade. Dr. Rick and Dr. Greg will deliver LH's soap via Ceasarian section. ;) ;) ;))

Greg

Laurie said:
Stay tuned...for more soapmaking sagas!!! :D
It's been an ordeal, let me tell you! :)
kwahlne said:
Lovehound, you crack me up! :lol:
Good! I've been on forums a long time and I enjoy writing and trying to entertain my fellow forum members. Nothing is worth doing if you can't have fun doing it! :)

And hugs and kisses to Sonja! :) As it turns out she had the winning idea. It popped right out this morning, and nary a soup can sacrificed. :) The cans worked because the first can spread the pressure over the full face of the soap log and the rest of the cans were incompressible so only two possible things could happen. Either the log would come out or Greg would get a hernia. It worked!!! :)

So I'll cut the soap log into individual bars later today after I figure out how I'm going to get an accurate 1" thickness for each. I expect the answer lies somewhere between my wood scrap pile, my table saw and my local restaurant supply place. I know of only two restaurant supply stores around here but I'm very lucky that one of them is within walking distance, not that people in Los Angeles walk. Okay we walk for exercise but we never walk anywhere. It's a rule. ;)

I'll get some pictures up when I've got individual bars. Thanks everybody and a special thanks to Sonja!

I borrowed my son's mitre box and bought a taping thing-a-megig from walmart and used that to cut my bars. Works very nice. A while ago target used to carry dough cutter, just a flat metal piece maybe 4x6 with a handle.....I have seen them used to cut with, and the mitre box to hold the soap, but since I couldn't find one and I don't have a resturant supply around me, the taping thing works. Of course my son and husband laugh at me and have threated to lock me out of the shop!!!!!! :lol:
I tease, "when you have fine tools, use them"!!!!

Thanks for the entertainment.....glad you got your soap!

Jeanette

LOL @Jeanette :)

Well I don't have anybody to keep me out of the shop (my garage) here but I'm sure to ruin it by getting a girl friend some day soon, so I guess everybody creates their own problems if they haven't any to start with. ;)

Actually I discovered three miter boxes in my garage, two wooden ones and one plastic one, the wooden ones have too short sides, and the higher sided plastic one somebody screwed it down to the bench. (Me.) So I'm on the horns of a dilemma as they say.

Too bad you don't have a restaurant supply. I was just over this morning and bought a 12" metal spatula that looks like it will do the job. I've got one of those dough cutters too, so one way or the other.

Good golly, what to you flip with a 12" spatula? :lol: In a way I am glad I don't have a RS store with in walking distance, between cooking and soaping I would be doomed, or my husband would be doomed. (hee, hee!!)
But, my brother lives in Long Beach, I bet there is a store there!!! And he is coming in for a visit the end of this month!!!!!

Read ya later!

Greg, glad every thing worked out :D

Sonja

ps: don't forget cut pics

Latest posts

Back