Toner Emulsion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean

Reaction score
I will be using Olivem 1000/Bio Wax and a preservative for the first time. I want to make a toner like product of aqueous liquid, aqueous preservative, EO to scent and just enough BW to keep the EO from seperating out. My questions are:

1. a. Is 3% the approptiate amount of BW? LC says its the minimum amt wo a co-emulsifier.

1.b. If I decide to add a small amount of liquid oil, is more BW required? If so, how do I figure out the amt?

2. Is this the process?
Melt wax and mix in EO.
Combine aqueous ingredients and warm.
Blend all...I assume by shaking becuase it will be a very small test batch.

3. How is BW melted...dbl boiler or microwave?

4. Can this be done without a thermometer?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Maybe look into using polysorbate 20 or 80. ?Any sort of emulsifying wax will make more of a cream as opposed to a liquid toner.
If a cream/lotion consistancy is ok, you'll need to melt/heat & hold your oils/emulsifiers together in a DB (oil phase). Your water based ingredients will also need to be heated (water phase). Mix together & add any preservatives, FOs, EOs, etc ( cool down phase).
You'll need to use the amount of emulsifier recommended by the supplier. It can vary from emulsifier to emulsifier.

Thx all.

I found article online for emulsifying EO in aqueous liquid. It says 1:1 emulsifier to EO. For a test batch that’s too small to measure with my scale. Looks like I need a new scale...or a work around.

Latest posts

Back