Tomato leaf for color?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was washing up after pruning my tomato plants and as always, admired the bright yellow lather.
Made me wonder if anyone has ever tried using tomato leaves for natural coloring?
I might dry some and try a infusion.

To me tomato plant leaves have a funny smell. I would wonder if the infusion might have the same odor.

there was a soap swap a few years back and one was a tomato leaf/dirt blend. It wasn't half bad, not a scent I would buy for myself but I happily used it.
I suspect it would sell well here at some of the smaller farmers markets

I doubt the scent would survive. I am an oddball that actually likes the smell of tomato leaves (and marigolds, chrysanthemums and geraniums). I've never wanted to make tomato leaf scented soap though...

I am an oddball that actually likes the smell of tomato leaves (and marigolds, chrysanthemums and geraniums). I've never wanted to make tomato leaf scented soap though...

I recently BOUGHT a bottle of tomato leaf scent online from CandleScience, no doubt after an evening cocktail. I love the smell, but can't imagine what sort of soap design or intended use would make it make sense.

My best friend loves to garden so maybe it's a gardener's soap for her, but any other ideas? It really is lovely, but so unorthodox...

I recently BOUGHT a bottle of tomato leaf scent online from CandleScience, no doubt after an evening cocktail. I love the smell, but can't imagine what sort of soap design or intended use would make it make sense.

My best friend loves to garden so maybe it's a gardener's soap for her, but any other ideas? It really is lovely, but so unorthodox...

The bar I saw was a muted green and red swirl. I used it in the kitchen for hand washing, no way I wanted a full shower with it.
I think a gardeners soap would be perfect.

there was a soap swap a few years back and one was a tomato leaf/dirt blend. It wasn't half bad, not a scent I would buy for myself but I happily used it.
I suspect it would sell well here at some of the smaller farmers markets
That would be a great combo for a gardener's soap. edited to add I should have read down the entire thread.....sorry for the redundancy.

I agree it would make a perfect gardener's soap. It might blend well with some other herbal or green EOs or FOs. Cucumber, or maybe mint - lemon seems like it would be nice as well.

It's lovely in candles. I would suggest reading the reviews for the scent. I'm pretty sure I recall seeing people comment on blends they made with it. I believe they said adding to florals gave a depth to the blends. I always read reviews to get ideas on scent combinations, acceleration, scent longevity, etc.

Hope

Hello,
I couldn't imagine tomato leaf scent was for sale :)
My hands and the foam after washing is also highly coloured after I take care of my tomatoes, so I also wonder if someone has used it for color in soap, not for scent.
However when I spend a lot of time in my tomato forest, I feel like my arms are a bit itchy... Not sure then it's good in soap. Have you experienced the same?
Eve

@Eve1374 I personally don't get irritated by tomato plants but they are a known irritant.

Its definitely not something to use if selling. I wouldn't even give it away unless I knew the recipient wasn't bothered by the plants.

If it does make a nice color, it might be worth testing, see if the soap makes you itch like the plant does.

I have leaves drying, will start the infusion in a couple more days

I agree it would make a perfect gardener's soap. It might blend well with some other herbal or green EOs or FOs. Cucumber, or maybe mint - lemon seems like it would be nice as well.
Oh, I like the blend ideas--thanks for that!

Hello,
I couldn't imagine tomato leaf scent was for sale :)
My hands and the foam after washing is also highly coloured after I take care of my tomatoes, so I also wonder if someone has used it for color in soap, not for scent.
However when I spend a lot of time in my tomato forest, I feel like my arms are a bit itchy... Not sure then it's good in soap. Have you experienced the same?
Eve
I haven't tried it yet but I will have to post back when I do!

@Eve1374 I personally don't get irritated by tomato plants but they are a known irritant.

Its definitely not something to use if selling. I wouldn't even give it away unless I knew the recipient wasn't bothered by the plants.

If it does make a nice color, it might be worth testing, see if the soap makes you itch like the plant does.

I have leaves drying, will start the infusion in a couple more days
Oh--just realized what I have is a fragrance oil, not an EO--so hopefully no irritant or allergy issues.

Back