Tomato juice in Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mare61

Reaction score
Faithy, I like the idea about using tomato juice instead of water in your lye solution. Do you use canned tomato juice or the almost clear juice you get from cut up raw tomatoes. Canned juice would have lots of sodium which can't be good for your skin. Please elaborate, thanks!

I checked out your website, awesome!!!!!! :D

I use the canned tomato juice. Others that I know also use the canned and I can't say I know anyone who cuts up the tomatoes just to get the juice to soap with.

Thanks, freewebs is a cheap place to get a web site (they have free accounts and paid ones) and I have a paid one but it still costs me under $5 a month but I like my own HTML better for my templates instead of the templates they have. But it's also an easy e-commerece as well which is what i've been working hard to finish.

Tomato and buttermilk makes a good soap as does carrots and buttermilk. I love those soaps!

do you use 100% tomato juice? or 50% water and 50% Tomato Juice (add at trace)?

I have been thinking about using tomato juice.

Nope,

just like the song "pop a top"

open the can and weigh it and mix in my lye, and proceed as usual

there is a good reason why burts bees has a tomato juice soap for the face,

but I leave mine completely unscented and even add a bit of honey at trace. And it smells wonderful. (least I think so)

The tomato scent does NOT come through in the soap when it's done.

When I add the honey it has a honey scent naturally to it.

Yep I do,

I even bought more tomato juice at the store last night to make up a batch this weekend !!!!

Faithy, Have you any Pix of Tomato juice soap? I'd love to see some.

Neil said:
Faithy, Have you any Pix of Tomato juice soap? I'd love to see some.

I didn't have any on file so I took new ones. WOW these are OLD because I was used aloe vera gel in in them :shock:

I used shortening, canola oil, tomato juice, coconut oil, lye, water, mango butter, honey, aloe vera gel, stearic acid (about 1 tbs ppo)

Did i mention i made it a long time ago, i think that's why i still have it. LOL i used my newer batches first :oops:

tomatojuciesoap.jpg

Thanks Faithy, Thats a great color. I like the ingredients as well

Newbie questions

seaysoap said:
for that matter, how about juices? Cranberry I have used, but the skies the limit. any thoughts

Ha! I found this thread looking for info on using cranberry juice. I had read in another thread on the forum (one that was getting a mite warm, btw) that cranberry and tomato are naturally acidic and may mess up the lye / saponification... I gather from this thread this is either not a problem or it's easily compensated (and if so, how is it compensated?).

Is cranberry "juice" from the grocery store acceptable, since it's not really juice it's juice *cocktail*? And is it used to replace 100% of the water? Does it contribute a scent or would you suggest adding a cranberry FO as well? And just for curiosity's sake, what about cranberry sauce? Whirl it in with the liquid (water or cran juice) There's a lot of sugar in that, what are the chances of it turning funky colors?

TIA!! :)

~Lori

this is really interesting as i own a juicer and have been wondering the same as you about whether they could be added and what results they would produce. The only one of your questions id be able to reliable answer would be the one about if the scent carries through, I d like to say no...I think the lye sap process probably breaks down the flavanoids (what help contribute to the scent)...I wonder what the difference would be for adding cranberry sauce though....as for the sugar content, I know that some add sugar to their batch to help it lather, and if you get chunky sauce it would be cool to have little berries in the bar (IMO...i dont mind berries falling out of my bar from time to time, so long as i know the ingredients are natural)

Latest posts

Back