Today's holiday craft bazaar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DawninWA

Reaction score
Well that was a waste of time :p

My display was pretty and easy to read, soap was accessible, signs were legible. I was friendly, and engaging, and wore my new craft show/market shirt that says: Addicted to Handmade Soap (But I'm trying to get clean).

I sold no soap, only 2 soap dishes that equalled $9. Vendor fee was $20. I shared the table with my sister, so my share was only $10.

I knew it was a small craft bazaar, and there wouldn't be tons of people, so I understood that this could happen. But... They put my across from the doterra rep. So that was fun. She didn't actually say anything to me, but she and the other person at her table (her mother maybe), just sat and glared at me the whole time. Every time someone asked something about soap, they perked up and listened real hard like they were waiting for me to say they were all natural or mention essential oils so they could jump in and tell me I was wrong. (I managed to bite my tongue when they told people their essential oils could replace all of your medications). But, since I don't ever claim to be all natural, and didn't say anything about EOs, they never got to jump in. But the glaring...why?

I can't wait to get back to the Farmers Market with the friendly vendors and the shiny happy shoppers who love my soap.

20181208_090740.jpg

Table looks great.
Don't mind those crass people.
And if EVER another vendor jumped up and started to speak to MY customers and interrupted me I would have laid them out !
You Don't do that, ever, plus it is part of Hawking that is usually NOT allowed.
I hate people like that, they Lie and think it is ok.

I have told people Outright at my table that no EO or organic thing is going to take you off your meds or cure anything (well somethings) and you better talk to not only your Dr. but a PROFESSIONAL Herbalist before you do that and not believe anything you are told at Fairs/markets without checking it out first.

I admit that sometimes I get a kick out of saying things like that where others can hear. I make it a point to say that it is illegal to do that. I hate liars :mad:

Of course I sell Soap, it cleans lol

No one was buying from anyone, not just me. I'm ok with that. It was just a weird day.

I'm happy with how my display turned out. I changed it from what it looked like for the summer's market.

I've discovered that "craft" shows that have MLM booths (DoTerra, Mary Kay, Scentsy, etc) inevitably have low sales for everyone. Mostly because customers walk in, see all the MLM, and don't want to shop - because they know they can go to "whateverMLMbusinessnameis.com" and get any of this stuff any time they want to. After my last show in November (of 25 or so of us only 5 were "craft" items, and 2 of them had identical items) it is now part of the questions I will be asking for new shows "Is this only handcrafted items?" and if no "How many non-handcrafted booths are you allowing?" If they don't have good criteria I probably won't be doing their show. I had one organizer last year who was very clear when she posted on FB looking for vendors that she has 40 spots and would only take 5 MLM. The day of the show she had 3 MLM. It was a good day, and most of the booths stayed 2 hours later because traffic and sales were good.

Most of those EO reps don't understand how much oil is needed for soap. I've had to explain it to them as well as customers why I don't use their oils - the way I put it is "I have to use alot of EO for soap, which is a wash-off product, so if I'm going to use [that brand] I prefer to use it in a leave on product or in my diffuser." Only once have I ever been told that "if you use Young Living you don't have to use as much, just a few drops". I asked her if she makes soap, she didn't and didn't know the process but still argued with me, so I let her go. She was one of those "Young Living cures cancer" reps anyways so I'm pretty sure there was never going to be any convincing on that one. Anyways, maybe the DT reps were interested in soap but not sure what to ask you, so they were listening in out of interest? I've done that a few times myself, because I am shy. The vendor friends I have made were because they approached me.

I too have started asking the venues if they allow any other non-handcrafted vendors. I've gone to two this year as a customer that the signs all stated hand crafted shows. Got inside and at one of them the other vendors out numbered the hand crafted ones. They had 6 or 7 Lularoe vendors. It's becoming false advertising in my opinion and I'll be very careful going forward.

I lurk over on the Anti MLM forum on Reddit. They talk a lot about how these vendors basically lie on their applications and then the craft show is stuck with them. They either let them in, or have a bunch of empty slots.

It might be tempting to print out and have some literature available on FDA lawsuits and some of these MLMs. YoungLiving and DoTerra and also I think Monat.

I actually do have print outs of the FDA lawsuits against DoTerra since my nephew was sucked in by them a couple of years ago. And like many soapmakers I'm sick of hearing how the EO's from both DoTerra and Young Living are superior to all other EOs. I'm currently enrolled in a Master Herbalist class to help me provide the best information and products to my customers from a broader knowledge base. And I'll admit that I'm petty enough to look forward to putting my 'Master Herbalist' certificate up against DoTerra and Young Living reps' ridiculous claims...show me your education other than your company's propaganda - non-existent.

This reminds me of the year I decided to do our local school craft show. I live outside of a very small, rural town in Appalachia (about 1,000 people total in the township). The show was touted as being very good by some upscale crafters I met at another show so I thought I'd give it a shot. My total sales for the day was $4 (one bar of soap). I can sell over $400 worth of product at another school craft show around 10 miles down the road but if I had to rely on sales here I would die hungry.... anyway your table looks great!

I lurk over on the Anti MLM forum on Reddit. They talk a lot about how these vendors basically lie on their applications and then the craft show is stuck with them. They either let them in, or have a bunch of empty slots.

It might be tempting to print out and have some literature available on FDA lawsuits and some of these MLMs. YoungLiving and DoTerra and also I think Monat.

I was recently at a craft show where there was one of these vendors who had “made” products like body and room sprays with the EOs. It’s like a back door way of becoming a handmade cosmetic maker... I was asked who I buy my oils from and they had no clue who I was talking about. I would go broke if I used Any of those MLMs for soapmaking or have to charge like $10 a bar lol

Latest posts

Back