Today's Experiment

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vedwards

Reaction score
So I saw these shot glass silicone molds and decided they needed to become soap. Here's the first experiment. Not thrilled with the "chocolate" portion, and I need to fix a few things (bubbles, piping, etc), but not too bad for the two testers! They're Peppermint Hot Chocolate soap shots - everything is scented with peppermint, and I used ground unsweetened cocoa powder in the soap for the "chocolate" portion.

cocoa soap.JPG

They look great!

I have one of those molds, I gave up on it after one or two tries. I might have to start playing with them again!

Cute idea! What process do you use to do something like that? So the clear outer portion is supposed to be a shot glass and somehow you were able to keep the "chocolate" separate? This has promise.

Cute idea! What process do you use to do something like that? So the clear outer portion is supposed to be a shot glass and somehow you were able to keep the "chocolate" separate? This has promise.

I bought a silicon shot "glass" baking mold from Michael's and poured clear M&P with Peppermint EO in the mold. Once it came out, I mixed up a little more M&P, added peppermint EO and some cocoa powder, and poured into the "glass." Then I whipped regular M&P with a little liquid castille soap (found a recipe on Soap Queen) and shoved it in a baggie and snipped the end off to pipe on top.

Piping soap is something I want to try, because I love making cakes and things - I just have to get a cheap set of 4 tips from Walmart, cause I'm not using my good baking stuff with the soap. This seemed to work for now.

I think it needs a peppermint stick though, so I'm going to try and pour M&P mixed with white down some straws and paint on red lines later.

I got my piping set from Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon.

I really like your shot glasses. IMO, cocoa isn't a particularly great colorant - you may do better with a very dark brown oxide. The whipped cream poof on top is adorable!

I really like your shot glasses. IMO, cocoa isn't a particularly great colorant - you may do better with a very dark brown oxide. The whipped cream poof on top is adorable!

I'm not thrilled with it, but right now I have to stop spending so much on my soaping hobby. It isn't terrible, but I'm going to keep playing with it.

Cocoa may not make a great colorant inside but what about putting some on top of the piped "whip cream"? Just a suggestion that I was thinking about since I saw your pic the other day. Or some sprinkles of something to give it some color? :)

Cocoa may not make a great colorant inside but what about putting some on top of the piped "whip cream"? Just a suggestion that I was thinking about since I saw your pic the other day. Or some sprinkles of something to give it some color? :)

I thought about this for the next batch - with these I was way too late by the time the thought came up! lol

I thought about this for the next batch - with these I was way too late by the time the thought came up! lol

Cocoa will just sit on top as a powder and blow off. Finely ground coffee might be a good alternative?
Coffee is also a good colourant. Darkest is strong coffee instead of some water but I don't know how that would work with m and p.

Coffee is also a good colourant. Darkest is strong coffee instead of some water but I don't know how that would work with m and p.

Hmm, that brings up the question: if you use caffeinated coffee in place of some water, or if you use caffeinated grounds (unbrewed) as an exfoliant, it seems like that might give the soap user a caffeine jolt?

Hmm, that brings up the question: if you use caffeinated coffee in place of some water, or if you use caffeinated grounds (unbrewed) as an exfoliant, it seems like that might give the soap user a caffeine jolt?

Not sure about that! :mrgreen:
You can use brewed coffee grounds as an exfoliant and not waste good coffee.

I've consulted a number of seemingly reputable sites and it would appear that using coffee and/or coffee grounds can deliver caffeine to a user, although the amount ingested ranges by site. I'll use decaf and avoid the issue.

Back