Tobacco leaf infused water in CP soap??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leahjo534

Reaction score
I didn’t know where to put this but...

My uncle wanted me to make him some Tobacco Bay Leaf soap. But me, with my little non-FO user self, wanted to use only EOs instead. So I found out what oils were used in the Tobacco Bay Leaf soap and the only one that wasn't an EO was the tobacco part. So I decided I could just make a soap using bay leaf EO, fir needle EO, bergamot EO, cedarwood EO, and sandelwood EO. THEN, he had the idea to use tobacco leaf infused water in it too. Would that work or smell okay??

My uncle wanted me to make him some Tobacco Bay Leaf soap.
Is this the one?
Tobacco Bay Leaf soap

use tobacco leaf infused water in it too. Would that work or smell okay??
I have used bay leaves infused in water to make CP (Aleppo Soap) mainly for the green color. I have no idea what color you would get from Tobacco leaves but I'm guessing light tan to brown. No matter what herb or botanical you infuse in the water to make the lye solution, it does NOT retain the scent, in my experience, if that's what you're going for.

@Zany_in_CO Yes, that is the one.. And the scent is from Brambleberry.

And thank the rest of y'all for your input! I honestly didn't want to do the whole tobacco infused thing so now I have an excuse😂 I wanted to just do the blend of the other 4 EOs and then kinda have a unisex woodsy soap. But for my uncle ig im going to buy the FO from Brambleberry and make some especially for him🥲

I think it would require a little more research. This FDA source feels a bit like propaganda on the war against tobacco to me. Even grapes, apples and pears have been found to have arsenic in them. Root vegetables are especially prone to drawing up pesticides and other things in the soil, but nobody is questioning putting carrot in their soap (that I know of). It's also the Dose that makes the Medicine or the Poison. Anyway, for what it's worth, I think it sounds like an interesting idea that just warrants some more research.

I think it would require a little more research. This FDA source feels a bit like propaganda on the war against tobacco to me. Even grapes, apples and pears have been found to have arsenic in them. Root vegetables are especially prone to drawing up pesticides and other things in the soil, but nobody is questioning putting carrot in their soap (that I know of). It's also the Dose that makes the Medicine or the Poison. Anyway, for what it's worth, I think it sounds like an interesting idea that just warrants some more research.
That's incorrect, and dangerous. Nicotine was recognized as a strong contact poison long before anyone had any inkling of cancer or addiction.

Here's info from a chemical industry firm, to start:
"Nicotine is one of the most toxic of all poisons and has a rapid onset of action. Apart from local caustic actions, the target organs are the peripheral and central nervous systems.

Summary of clinical effects
Burning sensation in the mouth and throat, salivation, nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhoea. Gastrointestinal reactions are less severe but can occur even after cutaneous and respiratory exposure. Systemic effects include: agitation, headache, sweating, dizziness, auditory and visual disturbances, confusion, weakness and lack of coordination..... In severe poisoning, tremor, convulsions and coma occur. Faintness, prostration, cyanosis and dyspnoea progress to collapse. Death may occur from paralysis of respiratory muscles and/or central respiratory failure.

Nicotine (PIM)

and there's this:

Green Tobacco Sickness - Overview | Occupational Safety and Health Administration
https://www.osha.gov/green-tobacco-sickness
"Nicotine exposure from handling tobacco leaves may cause nicotine poisoning, also called Green Tobacco Sickness (GTS), with symptoms including nausea and vomiting. Risk of nicotine poisoning increases when the nicotine contained in the tobacco leaves mixes with rain, dew, or sweat, allowing nicotine to get onto the skin and pass into the bloodstream more easily."

and also

"Nicotine is an acute toxin that can cause vomiting, seizures, respiratory failure, and death if consumed in even a small dose. For example, one teaspoon of a solution with a nicotine concentration level of 1.8 percent could be fatal to a 200-pound person. A considerably smaller amount would be fatal to a child."

Preventing Nicotine Poisoning Among Children and Youth | Public Health Law Center
https://www.publichealthlawcenter.o...g-nicotine-poisoning-among-children-and-youth--
How much nicotine kills a human?

https :// ww w.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3880486/

Thus, a careful estimate suggests that the lower limit causing fatal outcomes is 0.5–1 g of ingested nicotine, corresponding to an oral LD50 of 6.5–13 mg/kg.

That's incorrect, and dangerous. Nicotine was recognized as a strong contact poison long before anyone had any inkling of cancer or addiction.

Not sure how suggesting doing more research is incorrect or dangerous, but you are entitled to your opinion on the matter. Nobody is suggesting they eat the soap. You realize people chew tobacco right. In the state of California it must be displayed that Coffee causes cancer. Everyone has to do their own research and make decisions for themselves on certain matters. Tobacco has been grown for hundreds of years and dated back evidence of it's use at least 12,000 years. I'm not suggesting anyone pick up smoking. Again, the dose makes the poison. Even drinking too much water can kill someone and that's a fact. Did you know most matcha tea has large quantities of lead and I see people put that in their soap as well? Again Research, Research, Research. Sounds like they didn't want the extra trouble of infusing anyway, so none of this likely matters. Just wanted to add also that many of the EO's we use also have IFRA limitations on use, but we don't rule them out altogether.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back