Tobacco and Bay Leaf discoloration

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, the pressure! I trimmed one of the bars yesterday and it looks kind of cute, but I’ll leave the other three to do whatever it is they’re going to do (for now 😂)

How long until the pink showed up? I made a batch yesterday, cut it this morning, and I'm waiting for it to discolor. I did an alpine green (Nurture) hanger swirl figuring the discoloration with the green would look good for tobacco and bay.

Has anyone had this happen with BB’s T&BL FO? The bottle says it discolors to tan, the photo on the website looks mauve on my iPad and I ended up with a pinkish rind. My base is very white but I added a little TD to lighten up the expected tan discoloration. (Ignore the blobby stripes!)

View attachment 60818

I had the same experience as you @Mobjack Bay with Tobacco and Bay Leaf from BB. It was pinkish around the outside and the edges. It eventually morphed into a more tan color throughout the entire bar but there are still pinkish/peachy tones to my eye. Pics of just after cut and just today. Soap was made 6 months ago. Great scent retention btw.
D638E372-C825-4349-8D23-D7C787C92643.png
6809D6F5-0F8A-4024-A3A9-7EA373F781FA.jpeg

How long until the pink showed up? I made a batch yesterday, cut it this morning, and I'm waiting for it to discolor. I did an alpine green (Nurture) hanger swirl figuring the discoloration with the green would look good for tobacco and bay.
My soap had a pink rind when I unmolded it. The base has gotten a little darker, but not much.

So it really did turn tan. That’s what I was hoping for. The pink rind looks better with your soap than mine! Did your recipe have lard in it?
My unscented soap recipe that turned pink was 40% lard. I hope you figure out how to reproduce that pinkish rind. It would be a lovely design element when done on purpose!

Latest posts

Back