Tobacco and Bay Leaf discoloration

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone had this happen with BB’s T&BL FO? The bottle says it discolors to tan, the photo on the website looks mauve on my iPad and I ended up with a pinkish rind. My base is very white but I added a little TD to lighten up the expected tan discoloration. (Ignore the blobby stripes!)

1BB36569-D601-4552-B666-DE54005BB955.jpeg

I don't think I've had pink discoloration like that, but it did discolor light tan IIRC. I haven't used it in a long time, but just used it last week for my woodgrain soap. Unfortunately, that batch was all colored - and fairly dark colors as it turns out so I can't tell you anything from recent experience. It's a lovely scent though, and your soap is pretty. :)

(Ab)use it to give the fading rind of indigo a pinkish hue?

Seriously, my first though looking at the photo w/o context was “Hey, crazy soap magicians doing shenanigans with rimmed loaf soaps”.
I wonder how this will develop over the weeks/months, and if the cut surfaces eventually turn into that flesh colour as well.

Do you happen to have lard in your recipe? I have had B&B T&BL fragrance get a pinkish rind and a pinkish cast in my soaps that contain lard. My experience with it does eventually turn either tan or a tan with a pink tint to it.
Yes! and the base is starting to change to tan. The rind hasn’t changed yet. I’m keeping my fingers crossed on tan, not pinkish tan.

I’ve had my Soap turn Beige to Light Brown after using that F. O. However, I Love your Pink. As mentioned earlier, it looks like a Frame. I’d keep it! It takes effort to make a Frame! You did it effortlessly!

Has anyone had this happen with BB’s T&BL FO? The bottle says it discolors to tan, the photo on the website looks mauve on my iPad and I ended up with a pinkish rind. My base is very white but I added a little TD to lighten up the expected tan discoloration. (Ignore the blobby stripes!)

View attachment 60818

I think it looks very nice. I love the rim effect. I have this fragrance and haven't used it yet since I saw that it will discolour. But if it discolours to that, I would be pleased.

Wow, what a cool soap, I simply adore it. And the rind made it almost look like a picture frame with artwork! Even if it starts to even out it will be a pretty soap. You should charge double for these. (Even if they are given away for free😁)

Ignore the blobbyness of the stripes, you say? But... but, the blobs are my favourite😟

I love their blob'ness. They can`t help that they are made this way? They just happily came about, settled into their blobby form and waited to be revealed, uncovering themselves after a long and anticipated wait.
Ta-daaaaa, they said. Look at us! Are we not pretty? they said. They were so happy when you opened them up to see the light.

And then they hear a voice that say, ignore the blobbs.
Aaawww...

We should all be more like the blobbs; happy the way we are, who we are. Settle in, and embrace the way we look. No matter what color or shape - we are not made to be perfect, we are made to be real. Embrace the blobbs within you all!

I am a bit blobby myself, but pink hued, rather than green.

All the best from
Blobble Agent
Blobble07

(Yes. I know. I am sorry. I should really seek professional help... 🙄)

edited for spelling (argh...)
:oops:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back