Tobacco and Bay Leaf discoloration

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

Carly B

Reaction score
Oh, the pressure! I trimmed one of the bars yesterday and it looks kind of cute, but I’ll leave the other three to do whatever it is they’re going to do (for now 😂)
How long until the pink showed up? I made a batch yesterday, cut it this morning, and I'm waiting for it to discolor. I did an alpine green (Nurture) hanger swirl figuring the discoloration with the green would look good for tobacco and bay.

Jersey Girl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had this happen with BB’s T&BL FO? The bottle says it discolors to tan, the photo on the website looks mauve on my iPad and I ended up with a pinkish rind. My base is very white but I added a little TD to lighten up the expected tan discoloration. (Ignore the blobby stripes!)

View attachment 60818
I had the same experience as you @Mobjack Bay with Tobacco and Bay Leaf from BB. It was pinkish around the outside and the edges. It eventually morphed into a more tan color throughout the entire bar but there are still pinkish/peachy tones to my eye. Pics of just after cut and just today. Soap was made 6 months ago. Great scent retention btw.
D638E372-C825-4349-8D23-D7C787C92643.png
6809D6F5-0F8A-4024-A3A9-7EA373F781FA.jpeg

Mobjack Bay

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
So it really did turn tan. That’s what I was hoping for. The pink rind looks better with your soap than mine! Did your recipe have lard in it?

Mobjack Bay

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
How long until the pink showed up? I made a batch yesterday, cut it this morning, and I'm waiting for it to discolor. I did an alpine green (Nurture) hanger swirl figuring the discoloration with the green would look good for tobacco and bay.
My soap had a pink rind when I unmolded it. The base has gotten a little darker, but not much.

ScentimentallyYours

Cathy in MA
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it really did turn tan. That’s what I was hoping for. The pink rind looks better with your soap than mine! Did your recipe have lard in it?
My unscented soap recipe that turned pink was 40% lard. I hope you figure out how to reproduce that pinkish rind. It would be a lovely design element when done on purpose!

Carly B

Reaction score
No pink for me. Tan took over everything, except the top. Maybe because I sprayed it with alcohol?
1631895375160.png

I was surprised that the top stayed white. It makes me wonder whether cut bars sprayed with alcohol would stay white, at least for the first few uses?

Mobjack Bay

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Since I wasn’t sure how the FO would behave, I only made four bars this time. Peachy tan wasn’t quite what I had in mind, but now I’ll know better for the next time. Thanks everyone.