To try again or move on

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl

Reaction score
I get a lot of requests for Baby Powder scented soap. I found a supplier that has a good one, but I really don't want to use this supplier any more, for reasons beyond the scope of this post.

My go-to supplier has awesome scents. So I got some Baby Powder. Unfortunately it accelerated so fast, by the time I got it in the mold, you could not even texture the top. This is my 1st time using this fragrance from the company. Everything else they have is A+.

I did soap at a water discount (33% lye ratio).

So, do I try again using full water? Or just move on and try one from another supplier?

I have a sample from Candle Science that is good. At 6 months, it was still holding good. It discolors a little, to a light tan.

I find BB Baby Powder behaves reasonably well, discolours a little

You could also consider HP

I may try some from WSP since I already buy stuff from them. I do have 1/2 bottle of the other stuff and I'm wondering if increasing water would help?

I'm somewhat trying to consolidate all my fragrance suppliers. It doesn't make financial sense to use just 1 fragrance from a supplier. When you get all your fragrances from 1 place or 2, you distribute your shipping cost more effectively. I hate to buy a 16 oz bottle of fragrance and pay $10 for shipping. I'd rather get all my stuff from 1 place, hit the $50 threshold or whatever it is, and get free shipping or pay $10 for everything.

You're dealing with a floral fragrance, so don't blame the supplier. Floral fragrances often cause acceleration -- it's the nature of the beast.

I add troublesome fragrances right before I pour the batter, and I stir the FO into the batter by hand, not with a stick blender.

I don't think water content is a big issue, so I don't adjust that. I do try to keep temps on the cool to moderate side of my normal temperature range.

And I don't plan a fancy design. An in-the-pot swirl is a good option. I've sometimes gotten a hanger swirl in, if I'm lucky.

Layer designs are always good with accelerating fragrances too :) I separate the batter, colour it, and then add a bit of FO one at a time to each layer just before I pour it. It stays fluid to pour, and then sets up within a minute or two, while the rest of my portions are still sitting fluid and waiting

Sometimes I can give myself more time if I will add 3-4 tablespoons of warm base oils to my measured FO. It definitely helps keep ricing and separation to a minimum.

Latest posts

Back