To saponify or not with this oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all you knowledgable types... My mom and I will be making our first cp soap next week and I pulled all our supplies together and found to my horror that the exp date for the olive oil (organic) that we have is for a month from now..! I hate to waste it but I don't want to use it if it will go rancid... It's always been in a dark cool pantry and has not been opened and there's little to no headspace in the bottle. Should I pitch it out? Thanks for any advice. We are both a little bit terrified...

I probably wouldn't use it in soap unless it's only my own family using it - ie. I wouldn't give it to friends in case it goes rancid on them, that would just be embarrassing.

I'd use it without any hesitation as long as it doesn't smell rancid. As a matter of fact, such has been my normal practice with any of my oils/fats that are near or past their stated 'expiration date'. I don't sell, by the way, but for what it's worth, my soaps made with such oils/fats have so far all turned out fine and are still good months and even years down the road.

IrishLass :)

I did have a soap go rancid which has made me very wary. I am suspicious that it was the brown oxide colouring though, rather than an oil, because the soap started weeping only where the brown colour was and smelt yucky - ruined the whole soap.

Thank you all for the thoughts, I feel better about the situation and checked the oil, which smelled just fine and I was t going near Castile soap yet so I will be moderate in my use! Whew! Now I'm concerned because our order is in but instead of lye I have received potassium hydroxide, so I' e been calling around and a lot of the lye around here has additives, the one place that doesn't only has crystals..... Potassium hydroxide only works for liquid soap, correct? Are the crystals bad? I will start looking around here for that but thanks again and also in advance for your time, it's wonderful to have somewhere to go in all my newbieness and blather questions!!
I'm not sure how to achieve percentages, I've been working with measurements in ounces, etc. I don't really know how to translate these into percentages...

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're in the states (and depending on what state and their regulations) you might be able to find Roebic brand sodium hydroxide at Ace Hardware. Lowe's may have it also. I've used Roebic when my NaOH shippment got delayed and had no problems at all. Good luck and keep us posted on how it all goes for you!

Latest posts

Back